Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aid Denied

Rate this question

bojack

Question

The VA just denied me my hearing aid because they think my hearing is normal and its not the haring that is giving me a headache and making me hard to focus and study. The VA told me they think I need to go mental health route due to my mild cognitive impairment and PTSD (lack of sleep and stress). They told me my current condition is worse than me wearing hearing aid so they told me to go seek more mental health therapy.

Is this a good thing for my claim? I mean I am little sad that my injuries are giving me all these trouble, but I would like to get what I deserve so I can improve my life.

Thank you

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Any hearing test done outside of the VA must be done to VA standards or they will not accept the test. All you have to do is ask the people performing the test if they can do it to VA standards.

I spent about five months in the VA process to get hearing aids (actually hearing aid because they approved me for one). I got good advice from a grumpy VA audiologist who is also a Nam vet on hearingaid.com.

He told me that if you were in-country and qualify that you will get hearing aids service connected or not. I went to the Athens, GA VA clinic in June. I had to have a full physical and then went for the test. The audiologist wanted to make sure I didn't have any kind of allergy that was impacting my hearing so I had to wait 3 months and have another test. The results were the same and I get the HA two weeks from today.

Hearing aids and eyeglasses are listed as “special” benefits. Under what circumstances do I qualify?

VA medical services include diagnostic audiology and diagnostic and preventive eye care services. VA will provide hearing aids and eyeglasses to Veteran’s who are 30% or more service-connected, are service-connected for eye or hearing conditions that warrant hearing aids and eyeglasses, or have medical conditions that cause the need for hearing aids and eyeglasses. Otherwise, hearing aids and eyeglasses are provided only in special circumstances, and not for normally occurring hearing or vision loss. For additional information, contact the prosthetic representative of your local VA health care facility.

http://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/publications/hbco/hbco_faq.asp

Well, I'm not service connected, spent a year in Vietnam and 13 months in Korea and I am getting them from the VA. This is the message I got from a guy who says he is a VA audiologist. I also thought I had to have a disability rating but he said it was not the case. He seems to have been correct. I only post this to try to help other vets.

if you were 'in country' in Vietnam then you are an automatic into the VA Healthcare system. Which if you need hearing aids you will get hearing aids. depending on your income you might be charged $50 as a visit to the audiologist is a specially. You would also have an $8 co-pay for Rx's. With a max out of pocket per year of $150. Getting a disability rating has nothing to do with you being provided aids. If you get a disability rating then all co-pays are waved and you will get a tax free check monthly. First check will include back to the day you filed your claim.

Well, I'm not service connected, spent a year in Vietnam and 13 months in Korea and I am getting them from the VA. This is the message I got from a guy who says he is a VA audiologist. I also thought I had to have a disability rating but he said it was not the case. He seems to have been correct. I only post this to try to help other vets.

if you were 'in country' in Vietnam then you are an automatic into the VA Healthcare system. Which if you need hearing aids you will get hearing aids. depending on your income you might be charged $50 as a visit to the audiologist is a specially. You would also have an $8 co-pay for Rx's. With a max out of pocket per year of $150. Getting a disability rating has nothing to do with you being provided aids. If you get a disability rating then all co-pays are waved and you will get a tax free check monthly. First check will include back to the day you filed your claim.

Some of the information above is incorrect . . .

NO ONE is AUTOMATICALLY enrolled into the VA Health Care system, it is up to

all individuals to enroll, if they want VA Health Care.

The other incorrect parts of the above, I do not have the time or energy to address for now.