Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non Combat Ptsd

Rate this question

381sps

Question

Back in May 2008 my PCP said I was positive for PTSD and I denied that I was to avoid meds and the mental health people. She then put in the medical record that I declined further evaluation/ treatment/ and a referral for PTSD which is all true.

I was a very young airman at the time and the guy I rode with a lot in missile security I kind of looked up to he took time with me and showing me the ropes. In the middle of the shift he told me he was calling the shift supervisor that he was sick and needed to go home for the day. Okay not a problem. The next day I come in from duty I find out he had went home quietly went into the apartment he shared with his wife took his kids across the street went back in shot his wife in the face 6 times with a 22 pistol with longs she was seeing another airman he reloaded 3 times chasing him through the complex. The final shots was when the airman he was chasing broke into another apt trying to get away and the finals shots took place there. This was all over the news and was the big news for the day. Some one questioned me about it and asked me if I had any idea he was going to do this of coarse I had know idea.

Turns out he was planning this thing for awhile. This was back in about 1976 and this thing just keeps coming back to life with me. A lot of times I wonder if they did not let him go home would he have shot me to complete his deal that day.

I have pretty much put there names out of my head and the exact date had a visit with a VSO in the past week and she seen it in my records and asked me about it.

I broke into tears about it felt like an idiot she said I should file for it and I am considering it. I really hate to see MH about it.

I have no idea where in the world to get this information from to back it up. If I remember right he only got 4 years tried as a civilian goof Kansas law.

Any ideas

Edited by 381sps

C-File is your claims folder. It is held at the VA regional Office. You cant get a copy unless you request it in formal writing. it contains all over the information that has been acquired for all your claims. from Service medical records to all VA notes, C&P exams and ratings as well as other miscellaneous info that you generally are not privy to. It will have dates of when re-exam are going to be held and any other potentially useful info.

Filed for PTSD June 2014 got my denial today. Guess I should have read up on it more I was only diagnosed by my pcp and not MH doc. I thought I would at least get a C&P but nope straight to denial. So now I got to get in and see MH for it which I really have been dragging my feet. Now I will see what MH says and hold off on the nod till I get some visits in and file my nod at the latest possible. My SSDI diagnoses PTSD was no help

"My SSDI diagnoses PTSD was no help"

The VA probably questioned your stressor.

Unless PTSD conforms to the new 2010 PTSD regulations in our PTSD forum here, a non combat stressor must be proven.

Your VCAA letter should have told you exactly what that VA needed from you.

If you can scan and attach here the Reason and Bases part of the decision, maybe we cane help more, (cover your C file number, name, address prior to scanning it)

Filed for PTSD June 2014 got my denial today. Guess I should have read up on it more I was only diagnosed by my pcp and not MH doc. I thought I would at least get a C&P but nope straight to denial. So now I got to get in and see MH for it which I really have been dragging my feet. Now I will see what MH says and hold off on the nod till I get some visits in and file my nod at the latest possible. My SSDI diagnoses PTSD was no help

I think there is 3 things you have to prove to the VA.

1. You have been diag with ptsd

2. You had suffered a traumatic event while on active duty.

3. You have to link 1 and 2 together.

The VA is going to look for any reason to say your ptsd was caused by events before or after your service.

This is also helpful for your type of claim.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-0781a-are.pdf

Only a MH professional can DX PTSD for VBA purposes.

They might have a difficult time DXing you with the PTSD being that you actually

heard of but did not witness any of the events you posted of nor were in a direct situation

to fear for your life or safety.

From your post so far, you seem to have some symptoms of PTSD, but with me just being

a layperson, I personally do not see where what you have posted meets the very specific

criteria to form a viable DX of PTSD.

I mean no offense in posting this or to belittle what you feel.

Hopefully other's will chime in.

jmho

Editing to add:

You posted,"Filed for PTSD June 2014 got my denial today.",

dang, even for a denial this seems way too quick, just a bit over one month.

There is more to the story we had a couple of plane crashes one on the base and one off pilot killed off base another flamed out at the end of the runway crashed into a civilian car(F105) with a women and child in the car. could not tell what the car was. Supplied tail numbers and pilot names they did not mention one thing nothing about the stressors just that I had not seen mental health have seen them for depression and chronic pain. Seems like a couple of weekend pilots were falling out of the sky in those F105's at a alarming rate. The pilot that was killed they moved that wreckage to a hanger for an investigation Spent close to two weeks with that wreckage nights even thought the pilot was not with the wreckage he was still there in some sense without getting to vivid. The two civilians that the F105 crashed into survived and so did the pilot but how the civilians survived shear luck.