Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Getting Ssa Records

Rate this question

confusion99%

Question

I am curious, I have seen here and there on different threads comments about giving permission for the VA to get SSA records. I never requested anything from the VA to sign or send back concerning getting records from SSA. Yet, on ebenefits a few months ago it shows VA requested SSA records and within 5 days showed the VA received SSA records. Just wondering what is the real story on this? Should they have contacted me prior to getting those records? or, since it is gov't agency going to another gov't. agency, they can get anything they want from whomever they want as long as it is gov't agency?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

If VA is aware of SSA records, they should get them.

But...I asked this question here before 2 or 3 times with no answer.....

Does the VA still send the claimant 21-22 authorization forms? (maybe that is wrong form number) for the veteran;'s permission to obtain SSA records?

Somewhere here in the 20 plus years of VAOLA files I have a copy of my husband;'s signed authorization for VA to get his SSA records.

It is also in my C file copy.

I already rattled here here the atrocious FUBAR that situation brought....

If VA had handled that request to SSA properly there is a chance he could have seen his 100% P & T for PTSD in his lifetime.

SSDI solely for PTSD.

As it happened they did make the 100% P & T award,, about 3 years after his death , to me, as an accrued benefit.

Does anyone here have a concrete answer to my question or is VA , if aware of SSA records, getting them without need for the veteran 's permission?

Edited by Berta