Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Or Ssa Screwed Me!

Rate this question

jesusplay

Question

SSA requested my medical records from all sources but didn't get my VA records? The lady on the phone said the VA never replied and due to my lack of evidence I am being sent to a EXAM, this lady tells me this is better as the EXAM will be more recent and better than the 8 MONTHS of records I had with the VA for my MENTAL condition. I'm going to get what I can from blue button on my healthy vet download it to a disc and bring it into the DDS place.

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

SSA usually requires an exam no matter what VA does. Sometimes these info people make stuff up. The exam is a good thing

Jesusplay, I downloaded all medical records from the Blue Button and submitted with my husband's ssdi claim and it was granted without an exam. Just make sure to read through them all before you submit. You don't want to include anything that is less than favorable. Its ok to give to the examiner but make sure to also send copies (registered mail) to Social Security because the examiners are often times contracted doctors, they do not work directed for Social Security.

I just went through the SSA process. I was finally awarded SSDI...it is a long process. I remember having to go through the exam that SSA sent me to. It was a good thing because that exam was a key piece of evidence that helped me get my award.

You can go to to the VA Medical Center and go to the Release Of Information office and request a copy of your medical treatment. I got mine for to have as a personal copy. I am also treated for mental health. I had to wait a little longer to get the mental health records because they have to get permission from your treating psychiatrist and or psychologist to release them to you. Luckily they released mine to me with out a lot of trouble.

Be prepared to have to go to court to get SSDI. I had to. If you have to it is best to get a lawyer. They have an easier time getting medial records especially mental health records. They also help prepare the case. If you have a good lawyer they do a lot of the work for you. The best thing is you don't have to pay a lawyer unless you win your case. There is a limit to how much they can take too. Lawyers coast 25% of back pay or $6000 max. Once you win you will get a lot of money in back pay usually over $20,000. So it is worth the investment.

Blue button is nice...but I would got to the ROI office and get the copies too. You might get more information. I don't think everything goes into the blue button. but that is my own opinion.

Be prepared to answer this question. CAN U ANSWER A TELEPHONE. ? ..

some possible answers

Yes, but I may fall asleep on the phone.

Yes, but I may forget what the subject is that were talking abt

yes, but I may forget the subject we were talking abt

(yes that was intentional) ha

Yes, but I have mood swings and may curse you the F OUT.

Yes, but Im anti social and HATE talking on the phone.

Yes, but my back or feet, or whatever hurts all the time, and talking on a phone while in pain is agonizing to me.

They kind of threw that question on my during my exam. so be prepared.

Edited by 63SIERRA

With SSDI, age is a big deal also. I don't know how old you are, but

"For Social Security disability benefits claimants under age fifty, age is generally not considered to present an obstacle to adjusting to new employment contexts. However, for claimants over age fifty, age is acknowledged as a factor that may significantly impact their ability to adjust to new work. For workers over age sixty, age has been deemed by the Social Security Administration ("SSA") to be a barrier not only to their ability to do work, but also to their ability to get work". Missouri Law Review.

My wife got SSDI at age 49 after being denied twice. I think they judge felt she was close enough would be unable to be trained for a new (different skill) job.
Good luck,
Hamslice