Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Few Questions About Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Titan

Question

Just a little background, Im 10% service connected for asthma. Ive been out of the Army for 10 years now. I sought couples therapy a few months ago for myself and my wife through the VA and the counselor was thinking most of my problems were attributed to PTSD. She referred me to the PTSD unit who I had an appointment with yesterday for a screening. Using the info the other counselor gave me and the questions she went through she told me I have PTSD and is going to talk with my other family counselor and call me back to make a treatment plan. So last night I went on the E-benefits site and submitted a new claim. So far I have pretty much told my story which is pretty traumatizing to 2 counselors and to the e-benefits website. Basically my question is will I have to go back to the same place and sit with someone else for the claim and do it all over again and go through the whole thing or do they just use what they have? Im assuming its also the same people who do the claims because its in the same building. Last time I think I waited about a year for processing of my claim, is it still around the same time? I will try to get some sort of copies and post them on here to see what other people think. Thanks for your help

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Pat yourself on the back for seeking help. I know it's a hard thing to do. It shows that you value your health & your family. And there's nothing more important than those 2 things.

In some rare cases the rater can make a decision based on info already in the file. But in most cases, a C&P exam will be scheduled & you will need to retell your issues.

Depending on how busy your regional office is, a year sounds like a good ballpark average. But don't plan on any set timeframe.

Read up on the PTSD regulations for VA claims.

• HadIt.com Elder

You will have to go for a C&P exam no doubt. Do it Bro because it will be worth it in the end. My good friend from Nam waited over 40 years to get help. He got a DX of PTSD, but in the meantime his life was reduced to ashes and he was 64 years old. PTSD and depression ruined his life. When I encouraged him to get help and file a claim he was living in backwoods of N. Carolina in real poverty with a sick wife. I really wish my wife would go to couples counseling. She has PTSD, but as is often the case refuses to acknowledge it.

John

thanks for the replies. The couples counseling has far exceeded my expectations in just a short time. The psychologist is trying to come up with a plan for the PTSD treatment because they are saying its very time consuming at least for 12 weeks.

one other question is about the new ebenefits site, seems like they put some effort into it and it looks better than when I filed before on vonapp i think it was called. Does anyone actually get an estimated time of completion on here or is this just wishful thinking. Also the site is painfully slow. I had to type my experiences in word and copy and paste due to it refreshing and clearing everything

Titan,

You will hear mixed reviews on eBenefits. Some have had experiences where the time line was way off. My experience was great. I put in a claim back in Sep for PTSD and tinnitus. It stayed in the "under review" phase for months. Finally in April I noticed it went to "gathering of evidence". I got my letterbthe same week for my C&P exam scheduled for May 16. At this time the estimated claim compketioj date was from mid July to early Sept. Well on May 28 my claim jumped up to "Pending decision approval". Totally bypassed two or three phases. The estimated completion date jumped up to late June to early Aug. Then suddenly yesterday, claim was completed and I was able to see my new rating when I downloaded my benefit summary letter. So you just never know. It seems lately (maybe because of political pressure) claims are moving quick. Good luck.