VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fort Devens, Ma

Rate this question

hmcquade

Question

When I was a teen and adult I was on Fort Devens a lot. My Father was a Civil Engineer, with the Dept. of Army Corp of Engineers. Dad was the Chief Engineer in Charge of all buildings and plans on Devens. I found out that Fort Devens (now closed ) was on the Super Fund to clean it up for AO. Man I was exposed to AO long before I ever got to Nam!

Hugh

Edited by hmcquade

Nothing ever surprises me bud. I have Crohn's due to Parasites in OEF and South America, and Asthma due to burning Sh** in OIF/OEF. Seems like the Govt gets us sick before we were suppose to get sick.

I was at Devens in 1974 & 75 with the 39th Engineers. I live about 5 miles from there, but never

heard of any clean up. Its residential housing & commercial space now. There is still a small

military presence there. I think 1 National Guard unit & a small Army unit. It really is quite

a beautiful area now.

Bob K

I was at Devens in 1974 & 75 with the 39th Engineers. I live about 5 miles from there, but never

heard of any clean up. Its residential housing & commercial space now. There is still a small

military presence there. I think 1 National Guard unit & a small Army unit. It really is quite

a beautiful area now.

Bob K

Hi Bob this is the source of the information I came across

http://agentorangelegacy.blogspot.com/2013/05/us-army-military-bases-on-epa-superfund.html

Ft. Devens was declared an EPA Superfund Cleanup site in 1989.  Postings from the EPA list a large number of toxic chemicals in the groundwater, including PFOA, PFAS, TCE, arsenic, and many others. The city of Ayer had to close one of their water wells due to the spillage at Devens. I have seen rumors that AO was on base for MP training purposes during Vietnam (not at the ASA TC&S), but have not found confirmation or exact dates; I was there in '62-'63, which may have been before AO was in use there.