Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Two Questions About P&t

Rate this question

Snake Eyes

Question

1. How do they evaluate a 100% schedular person for P&T -- do all of the vet's service connected issues have to be permanent?

2. In my case, I have a 70% mental health rating -- Does the VA ever regard a mental health rating at less than 100% as "permanent"?

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm working on an FDC that if successful would take me from 90% to 100% schedular.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

1. How do they evaluate a 100% schedular person for P&T -- do all of the vet's service connected issues have to be permanent?

2. In my case, I have a 70% mental health rating -- Does the VA ever regard a mental health rating at less than 100% as "permanent"?

As I've posted elsewhere, I'm working on an FDC that if successful would take me from 90% to 100% schedular.

MODERATORS: I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum by accident... Feel free to move it.

1. No, not all of the veteran's disabilities need to be permanently and totally disabling. This is based on severity and impact on employability balanced with the likelihood of the condition ever improving. If one disability is severe and chronic enough to warrant p & t, that's all it would take if the rating for it or in combination with similarly chronic conditions affecting employability, looked at as a whole, warrant that status.

2. What kind of mental health rating? Psychological or physical in nature (for instance, organic brain syndrome due to tumor vs. PTSD)? OBS doesn't improve, PTSD is not so black and white.

Did you apply for unemployability based on that 70% rating? Good luck in the struggle to get from 90% to 100% schedular. The VA realizes that when that happens, your monthly compensation almost doubles. My husband went through the process, we got it but are still fighting for an earlier effective date, 20 years this August. Never give up...

Are you working or do you have a reason you want to pursue a 100% schedular rating vs. TDIU?

1. No, not all of the veteran's disabilities need to be permanently and totally disabling. This is based on severity and impact on employability balanced with the likelihood of the condition ever improving. If one disability is severe and chronic enough to warrant p & t, that's all it would take if the rating for it or in combination with similarly chronic conditions affecting employability, looked at as a whole, warrant that status.

2. What kind of mental health rating? Psychological or physical in nature (for instance, organic brain syndrome due to tumor vs. PTSD)? OBS doesn't improve, PTSD is not so black and white.

Did you apply for unemployability based on that 70% rating? Good luck in the struggle to get from 90% to 100% schedular. The VA realizes that when that happens, your monthly compensation almost doubles. My husband went through the process, we got it but are still fighting for an earlier effective date, 20 years this August. Never give up...

Are you working or do you have a reason you want to pursue a 100% schedular rating vs. TDIU?

Hi Lotzaspotz,

I did not apply for TDIU based on any of my disabilities because my VSO said I cannot. I am still working (through the end of next week), and I have a reduced schedule (10 to 15 hours a week starting in the fall). He said you cannot get TDIU initially if you're working even below the poverty threshold. In other words (not sure I agree), he believes you can work some once you get TDIU, but not before. Our school has month long breaks between fall and spring semesters and between the shortened summer session and the fall semester -- two to three months with no income from work at all.

The only reason for pursuing the 100% as opposed to TDIU is to get DIC protection for the diabetes which is not currently SC. If I get SC for the diabetes and related complication, I would "innocently" get to the 100%. And yes, I'd probably cut back on work regardless -- pain and fatigue are winning the battle for now.

Are you or will you be working a reduced schedule solely due to your disabilities? Have you also considered applying for Social Security disability?

• HadIt.com Elder

You can get DIC if you are TDIU for ten years or if you die from SC condition. When you are TDIU you are considered to be totally disabled just like 100% scheduler except you cannot work above poverty line. I get TDIU for the last 12 years. I don't work at all since I also get SSDI. If you continue to work and get TDIU you give the VA a string to pull on. If you don't need the money do volunteer work. Learn about investing. That kind of income does not count against TDIU.

John