Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated For Tinnitus - 7 Years After Initial Claim

Rate this question

Tampabud

Question

Hello everyone, just a quick question...

I seperated from active duty in 2007 and subsequently filed for tinnitus (I was in Security Forces for 10 years). My claim was denied initially, but I re-opened the claim, with NO new evidence... I had my C&P exam, I had the exact same replies as I did the first time around, and they granted 10% service connected.

How do I get back pay for this? I am not sure it qualifies, but the ringing in my ears hasn't changed since my active duty days... Just thought I'd ask.

4 answers to this question

I had to fight the VA for my Tinnitus, I filed a NOD and proved the VA comp board made a CUE. I received back pay to when the case was first denied. I am not sure why you did not get back pay.

Hugh

Edited by hmcquade

It looks like you could get back pay bud. It is up to you if you want to fight the VA. I recently caught a CUE that the VA made, and it was worth $2500 worth of back pay. It was not worth it to fight the VA, as I recently submitted another FDC for 7 conditions, 5 that I reopened that the VA denied without C&P exams, and 2 new exams. Good luck to you and keep us posted bud. I am SC for Hearing Loss and Tinnitus as I was Naval Aviation for 10 years.

Hello everyone, just a quick question...

I seperated from active duty in 2007 and subsequently filed for tinnitus (I was in Security Forces for 10 years). My claim was denied initially, but I re-opened the claim, with NO new evidence... I had my C&P exam, I had the exact same replies as I did the first time around, and they granted 10% service connected.

How do I get back pay for this? I am not sure it qualifies, but the ringing in my ears hasn't changed since my active duty days... Just thought I'd ask.

Can you post exactly all of what is stated from the REASONS and BASES SECTION.

That would be helpful in trying to answer your question/s.

Seems like what I am in now. Was denied S/C for tinnitus and hearing loss. VA sent me to a private audiologist for the exam. Doctor stated that I never had tinnitus or hearing loss in service. Didn't know better at the time, let the claim close after the appeal period. In 2014, filed a re-open claim for tinnitus and H/L. VA sent me to a VA doctor and he stated it should be S/C for both. Also had a private NEXUS letter that backed up the VA doctor. Waiting now.

I was told to wait and see what the new decision was before filing a CUE. The reason I possibly may file a CUE is the VA didn't follow their own Training Letter 10-02 on my 1st claim. I have evidence in my STR that I had tinnitus and hearing loss.