Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

90% P&t... Say What?

Rate this question

Snake Eyes

Question

This may not be the correct forum for my question, but since the letter I got today mentions IU, I put it here:

The letter is a summary of benefits for use in applying for benefits at state and local level (parks, DMV, etc.). It provids claim info as well as military service info, then a series of questions under the heading VA Benefits info, including....

"Your combine service-connected evaluation is: 90 percent...
Are you entitled to a higher level of disability due to being unemployable: NO...

Are you considered to be totally and permanently disabled due to your service-connected disabilities: YES"

How is that possible? Either you're P&T or you are not. I always thought P&T was a modifier for 100%

The next question for me would be, can this help with an SSDI claim? A VA psych counselor told me that having a 70% service-connection for GAD (along with all the symptoms the BVA examiner listed) would "almost mean an automatic approval" of an SSDI claim. She was pretty emphatic in insisting I should not be working, and gave me that info in making her point.

Snake Eyes
SFC, USA (Ret)

90% -- Still breathing :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I thought I had it bad.... 'till I looked around me."

The next question for me would be, can this help with an SSDI claim? Yes

Your combined rating may be 90% but VA may be paying you at the 100% rate.

Are you entitled to a higher level of disability due to being unemployable: NO... I would check this and make sure it is not an error.

Your combined rating may be 90% but VA may be paying you at the 100% rate.

Are you entitled to a higher level of disability due to being unemployable: NO... I would check this and make sure it is not an error.

I'll check with Peggy on Monday... Definitely not being paid at the 100% rate. That would be more than $3,200 with a wife and two kids. Thanks for the reply.

Snake Eyes
SFC, USA (Ret)

Thanks... Looks like they're paying at the 90% rate. Jim Strickland replied to a query and said someone probably made a mistake in setting up an autogenerate letter. Peggy confirmed this and is sending out an amended letter.

So it's true (according to Peggy) you can be P&T for less than 100%... but in my case, that didn't apply. Go figure.

Snake Eyes
SFC, USA (Ret)

• HadIt.com Elder

P&T means permanent and TOTALLY disabled. To be totally disabled means 100% either via TDIU or Schedular. If you are 90% and have one rating of at least 40% you should be able to get TDIU. You may need an IMO/IME. I had 70% and SSDI and was denied TDIU. I appealed it and got TDIU P&T via the IME route. If you can't work due to SC then you should get TDIU.

Agreed. Peggy started the TDIU claim (setting date of claim as today). I'm thinking the notes from the VA shrink might seal the deal, but just in case I am getting an IMO from Dr. Bash for the SSDI. I could probably use this IME/IMO to support the TDIU claim.

The VA phone rep seemed to think I could pursue the diabetes claim and the TDIU claim at the same time and they would be treated individually.

Snake Eyes
SFC, USA (Ret)