Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Topamax

Rate this topic

Anyone taking this medication? How does it effect you? I am so tired of VA changing my medication and then adding more for me to take. I want off of these meds. because they make it very hard to function but they still add more and more.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

I have been taking it for headaches twice a day and then when the onset of a migraine I take sumatriptian. The problem I found with it is after a couple days it leaves a metallic taste in my mouth as well as my gums tingling. It also changes the taste of foods and if you drink any carbonated drinks it will make them taste flat and bitter.

Some people have used this drug to loose weight and have been successful. I didn't need to loose weight since I am having problems keeping weight. I also lost 8-10 pounds from it.

It has also been tested and used to control the use of alcohol. I guess because it flattens the taste of beer.

It did on the other hand help with the headaches to some extent when used with sumatriptian.

I hope this helps.

I take this med and Suma for my TBI/Migraines. Sorry to hear of your troubles bud. I am currently on 18 different meds, and they all have horrible side effects. Since I was in a Mental Hospital in 2012, I have had over 40 different Psych meds. I have had so many side effects, as too my Crohn's being worse, with severe bleeding, caused me to have 2 blood transfusions, severe rashes, and of course light headed, along with the whole crazy stuff, you know like not knowing who or where I am, or wife finds me outside talking to the moon. God Bless you and hope it gets better.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• HadIt.com Elder

Topomax can cause eye problems. If you take it then you should have your vision checked often. The VA knows this. Topomax is for the same things that lyrica and neurotin are for but Topomax has more side effects.

• HadIt.com Elder

I reviewed my medications yesterday and found that my biggest problem is some yahoo in pharmacy stopped a medication without telling me and did not replace it. The consequences could be barrett's syndrome or cancer.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA pharmacy has countermanded my doctor's orders on more than one occasion. I don't see how they can do this. Isn't it malpractice for a pharmacists to change a doctor's orders? One time when my doctor was trying to get my pain meds coordinated the pharmacists stepped in and changed the doctor's script for me. I should get all pain meds on the same day since the script is only good for 30 days at a time. Now I get half the meds around the middle of the month and the other half around the first. If I had a good pain doctor who would just give me the pills I need, and not try to do nerve blocks on me for the big money I would probably never go to the VA. Just driving out to the VA hospital puts my life at risk since the interstate and main road to the VA is like death race 2000. How can I get Fee Base? These trips to the VA send me off the deep end for about a day afterwards. I am officially housebound. Could I get Fee Base on that condition? I do not need to drive 40 miles round trip to get blood work and talk to my doctor for ten minutes about the same old stuff.

John