VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Been Rated For Chiari I Malformation?

Rate this question

tdak

Question

HI Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has ever been rated with Chari I Malformation? This is a neurological diagnosis. This is a hard diagnosis in the first place, but this is part of what I am waiting for. Any input would help me a lot.

Thanks,

Tamara :D

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Tamara- this is wonderful news- when you asked your origial question I could not find a single claim like this at the BVA site-I think others here tried too-

But that does not mean you did not have a SC disability- I am happy for you to succeed.

Did they give you the correect retro pay and what you feel is the right rating percentage?

You were hospitalized for this condition-

how long were you hospitalized and how long was your convalescence- reason I ask is-

hospitalization for a SC condition for 21 days or more generates a 100% Temp total disability comp payment.

Also convalensence periods can often raise a rating -if due to a SC condition.

Do you have a link in your SMRs to the knee injury? "additional development" is always a good sign my way of thinking because it is not a denial.

I just got a Remand due to "additional Development" was needed at the RO, and they certainly seem to be doing things there that were not done before -to develop the claim. (like actually reading the evidence)

Congratulations veteran! Once they grant SC - it is a big battle that has been won.

Other conditions can often be found as secondary to the SC condition which is easier to prove -in many cases- than looking for initial direct SC on them.

You did good and let's hope the knee injury is properly SCed too.

Berta,

I was hospitalized, but only 7 days. As for the rating, they gave me 60%. They had even stated that this was the minimum for a benign growth of the brain, but they added all my symptoms/problems and combined them. I was hoping for more like 80 or 100. I haven't worked in a year as of Nov. and I do know that I may never be able to go back even part time. I have different issues on a day-to-day basis. Some days I just stay on bed for most of the day. It is very hard for me because I feel god for a day then think I can do things like the dishes or vaccuuming (auto trans on vac..kirby) and I an shot for the rest of the day and sometimes even 2 or 3 days.

I did notice in the "reason for decision" section of the papers I received that they state I do not have headaches, which I do 3-4x per week and they stated I have double vision in my left eye, when I have it in both eyes. How do I go about checking into if this will change the rating or not.

I do know that I am going to apply for IU (i know this acronym). How long does this usually take to get a response??

As for my knee, well the doc did check it out at my first visit, but I will go back to please them and so I can have it added to my rating. I do have a link in my service medical records. So hopefully they just want to check it to see how bad it is. Today's rain is not helping it at all.

As for retro back pay, yes it all seems in order. I haven't gotten it yet, they stated 15 days as of the report/decision , so just waiting for it to come in.

Thanks so much,

Tamara

Edited by tdak

Well, 60% sounds low. If you decide to NOD let us know. I think you should be 100% schedualar but it would be a good idea to file for IU now.

Time

I agree with you, but if I appeal, do I still get paid for the 60% then get the rest if it goes to 100????

I don't want it to came back less...I have no clue what to do. How long does an appeal take???

Edited by tdak

Yeah, you'd get paid at the 60% rate untill it changes. It shouldn't go below that, but there is no garantee that it won't. It would be a rare occurance though.

There are different ways to go also. You've said you have depression from the Chiari. You may want to pursue that as a secodary to SC claim. Same with the headaches.

Memory problems is one of your symptoms. I suggest neuro-psych testing to discover any functional limitations. I had no idea that I had cognative impairiments untill I was tested. Nobody else did either. Still, those that I meet or have known my whole life do not know and can't tell they are there, unless they've been told. But, my rating is for dementia.

Just some ideas

Time