VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tkr And Disability Info Needed

Rate this question

pattimelt

Question

At 35, I was told I would need to have my knee replaced by the VA when I turned 50. Well, they are finally doing it. After 16 years of pain and difficulties walking and moving like a normal person, they are fixing it.

I am looking at November for the surgery. I have my next appt with the surgeon on Sept 2, and I have to finish my season at work (I work for a professional baseball team that looks like they are going to the post season!!).

I have been told that I will get a temporary 100% rating due to this being part of my service connection, and having to be out of work. What is that procedure?? Does the surgeon(clinic) fill out paperwork to start that process, or is there something I have to do to fill it out and get it started?? How long does it take to actually start recieving payments?? With me out of work, my husband and I won't be able to pay bills if I don't have something coming in, and I can't get unemployment when I am out having surgery...

Any information would be appreciated, as I am absolutely clueless, but want to make sure I can keep a roof over my head..

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Having never dealt w/this myself, I can't state w/absolute certainty but I believe it can take some months to process a convalescent rating. You should plan on not getting the actual increase until at least 6 months, or more, after the surgery, if that soon. You should budget accordingly. jmo

pr

I had my knee replaced in February of this year by a private physician. I provided the VA with the OP report and have had a C&P exam for it. It still sits in the gathering of dust (ev idence) section and I have no hope for it being complleted anytime soon. On a good note they will owe me a nice chunk of change when it is all over, but that is not the point. The 100% is supposed to help while you are recovering, getting a big check a year or so later seems like the consolation prize.

A word of advice...stretch, stretch, stretch and do exercises before the surgery. Its not that bad but you have to be active afterwards, use the knee! Best of luck!