VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnosed With Ptsd But Am Facing An Oth Due To Substance Abuse...help!

Rate this question

Hadb12

Question

To Whomever May Advise,

I returned from Iraq 2 years ago and have since been struggling with PTSD. Through my struggle with this condition I developed a secondary symptom of PTSD by gaining a substance abuse problem. I am now in a Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation Program in the Navy and have since realized how bad my PTSD had really got, due to the fact that I was in huge denial in the beginning. I am facing an administrative separation, and agree I should be separated but feel as though my eight years of faithful service leading up to my return from Iraq should qualify me for a better discharge than OTH. What views or advice can anyone give me. Please keep it professional because I am already struggling with alot and know that I should of asked for help before my problems got this bad, but its easier said then done. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Hadb12

3 answers to this question

Make sure they so a mental evaluation before separation. Make them determine you were sound of mind at the time of offense. Jmho.

Read regulations 38 cfr 3.12 for discharge info too

• In Memoriam

Go to a Jag officer in legal and ask what your options are. Seems to me like a medical discharge would be better. I know a few medical discharges that were upgraded to honerable years ago.

You can use these legal services. I used them when I had an accident in a car and was threatened with suit. Once I went to legal problem was over like that. This happened right before deployment to VN.

Good luck and hang in there brother.

Edited by Stretch