VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help And Advice On Ptsd Claim - Moderators Welcomed

Rate this question

KySoldier

Question

I was diagnosed with PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder by two psychiatrists. I didn't like the first psychiatrist because she wanted to up my meds and I felt they weren't working and making me a zombie.

My question is, should I include her diagnosois and reports (even though there are errors on it and she didn't even put her full signature block as an MD) when I file or only the current one I am seeing?

Thanks you in advance!

Since you have not filed a claim yet, you need to read the PTSD 2010 regulations in our PTSD forum here.

The VA will not accept a PTSD diagnosis from a non VA shrink.

Is one of the psychiatrists you mentioned a VA doctor?

If you are a OIF OEF veteran(in country) the VA will surely conceded your stressor if it falls with the regulations as to proximity to and fear of hostile activity.

If you are not OIF/OEF and have the CAB, CIB, and/or the PH on your DD 214 the VA will (99% of the time) concede your stressor.

Otherwise you will have to prove the stressor that caused the PTSD.

The VA will give you a C & P exam to potentially diafgnosie or rule out PTSD.

We have a wealth of info here as to how a vet can prove their stressor.

Sometimes it is easier to obtain depression as service connected than to file for PTSD.

While the 2010 regs made it easier for OIF OEF vets, the regs made it more difficult for other veterans.

Agree with Berta on this one bud. Always make sure that when you take your first step with the VA, that it is the right one, or it will come back to haunt you in the end. Good luck

SVR my psychiatrist is non-VA.

Here is a little more background, I was nearly stabbed and my friend was stabbed in an attack by a deranged fellow soldier. My friend nearly died, but eventually recovered.

I sought treatment for depression, anxiety, insomnia, etc., when I returned to the states. I was given anti-depressants and referred to CMH. I remember talking to a doctor, but can't exactly remember if it was a psychiatrist and there are no reports in my medical records other than the anti-depressants and CMH referral. I was given no exit exam prior to discharge, but sought treatment from family doctor shortly after discharge for depression and have been on meds ever since. My doctor wants me to be tested for Sleep Apnea, I continue to have nightmares of the attack and not being able to escape. My insomnia continues along with anxiety attacks.

Should I file under PTSD w/Major Depressive Disorder ?

Should I also file as secondary to PTSD for Anxiety, Insomnia ?

I had other med problems while in the service (8 yrs) including kidney stones. I have since had Renal Cell Carcinoma (kidney cancer) same kidney removed. Can I submit a claim at the same time for this when I file for PTSD or should it be a separate claim ?

All help and advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

SVR my psychiatrist is non-VA. I was attacked with a knife and nearly stabbed along with a friend who was stabbed and nearly died. I first sought help after I returned to the states and the doctor diagnose me with depression and started me on anti-depressants and referred me to CMH. I remember talking to a doctor about the depression, but my records don't show it. I was also diagnosed with Anxiety and Insomnia. Would insomnia be related to Sleep Apnea ? When I was discharged, I got treatment from family doctor for depression and continuing meds. I just want the continuing nightmares of being chased to end and be able to sleep peacefully.

Should I list the Anxiety and Insomnia as secondary to the PTSD claim or should it be a separate claim ?

Thank all of you for your help and advice !

GOD Bless you !

SVR my current psychiatrist is non-VA. Do you suggest she fill out a questionaire? I was attacked and nearly stabbed and a friend was stabbed and nearly died by a deranged soldier. I first sought help when I returned to the states and was diagnosed with depression, anixety and insomnia and referred to CMH. I remember talking to a doctor and given anti-depressants. After my discharge I continued taking meds from a family doctor. My family doctor believes I have Sleep Apnea and wants me to be tested.

Should I list the Anxiety and Insomnia as secondary to the PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder ?

Thanks in advance!