Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unexpected Success

Rate this topic

richmc

I had applied for several contentions including sleep apnea. Diagnosed 6 years after medical discharge and filed as secondary to knees due to weight gain and the years of opiates they had me on for the pain. Knew it was a long shot on the first go but had hopes of getting it on appeal.

C&P was done at QTC here in OKC. The doctor seemed like kind of a jerk at the time. He stated he did not see a connection so I told him about reading about studies showing the link between the opiates and sleep apnea. He also looked at my knees but only at what I was already rated for and totally ignored my new claim of instability. On my old ratings he made a comment about not seeing why my left knee was even rated at all. Was having a good day that day so no swelling or anything. Told him it might have something to do with the fact that during the exam for the initial rating my knee was swollen to over twice the normal size. Left the office not feeling good about the exam at all even though he said he would try to find the studies.

Yesterday I went from prep for notification back to gathering evidence but also said decision letter sent.

I was given the sleep apnea, denied MDD(I screwed up and filed it as a primary instead of secondary), and my back issues and new knee conditions were sent back. Went from 30% to 70%.

Now just wating for new C&Ps and for the back pay on the increase to hit.

Good for you sir, now keep working on the rest.

Don't worry I will. During the C&P for the MDD the examiner was exlaining what would happen next after the exam she flat out said that she was putting "most likely caused by pain from service related issues" and that with the level it was effecting me she didn't see how I would not get a rating. Like I said it was my fault for not being deligent when filling and doing it as secondary like I should have.

Edited by richmc

Congratulations and good luck to you.

Congrats none the less.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use