Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetic Shoes

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

Hi,

Does anyone know how to request diabetic shoes? It's been over a year since my husband got a pair of SAS shoes from the VA for his diabetes. He told his knew primary care dr., and she said he would have to go to podiatry clinic. He called the TAP line, and left message for the podiatrists that got him the last pair, and they called back and said he needed to talk to his primary care dr.

I think we're in a continous loop!

Thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

sbrewer

Usually it is the primary care Doctor, but I was in for my flat feet problems, to a foot Doctor, and i asked him if he would request a pair for me, and he did right away, but the ones the VA has now are garbage, compared to ones that I received before, the ones I received a couple of weeks back don't give any arch support, even with the arch supports I get for my flat feet, they look like black slippers, but better then nothing, I was told with all the cutbacks, the shoes are poorer quality, and only get one pair a year, instead of two, unless other VA have different shoes to give out.

• HadIt.com Elder

My primary Doc wrote a prescription for me. Like John said not to great and for me uncomfortable. I use a pair of shoes primarily that I bought at an Outlet Store for 50 Bucks. I have flat feet and diabetic foot problems and I need shoes that are comfortable.

Guest terrysturgis

I was sent to get my Diabetic shoes by my Podiatrists at the VA. On my second appointment he wanted me to get another pair because mine were losing the soles. Went down to the clinic and no one was there so I left. I wear the shoes they give me but I prefer Florsheim slip ons, 3EEE width. Wish we could get them from the VA. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Primary Care doctor can get you a consult. Although I have 100% (70% PTSD, 30% TDIU) & 100% Prostate Cancer from Agent Orange I can't get shoes because I'm not a diabetic. My feet are dead as hell because of PN, but of course I can't have PN because I'm not diabetic. Go figure.

Good luck,

Don

Guest terrysturgis

Don, if you could SC the PN then you should be able to get shoes. But I'm not sure I would open the new claim and that can of worms if you know what I mean.

If your feet hurt look into the Florsheim slip ons. I learned about them years ago at a printing show in Chicago. We had to stay on our feet and walk bunches around McCormic Place and an older salesman that was there told me about them.

One other thing is I thought PN was on the AO list but back to that can of worms. Take Care. Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

Terry,

Thanks for the heads up on shoes, I'll check the out. Only PN that you can get AO connected (unless you are diabetic) is transient acute & subacute. Have to appear with in 1 year & be gone in 2 years. I've never met anyone that falls in that group. The Chronic PN that many of us have is only S/C if you are diabetic.

Thanks,

Don Evans