VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appreseps

Rate this question

WaterDawgFirst

Question

Due to my C&P the VA overturned my discharge to honorable - I got screwed royally during my discharge due to military negligence and misconduct. My ebenifits shows everything turned over to honorable, but I'm waiting on my DD214 to do something. Something popped up on my ebenifits coded apprsepts corr then disappeared. It never gave me any information. Does anyone know what that stands for and if it means something is happening, good or bad? I also know my files are sensitive and restricted at the VA so the people there can't see anything. What the hell is going on? Any help is much appreciated.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

"the VA overturned my discharge to honorable"

GREAT!!!!!!!!! Good for you!!!!!!

I dont use ebenefits but someone else here will chime in on that acronym.

WOW....obviously you have a claim in progress.

"but I'm waiting on my DD214 to do something." Can you clarify what you need to do?

You might have to access and fill out a DD 149 to get that older DD 214 corrected.

Maybe someone has already advised you on that?

This is an exciting post for me....I know full well that many vets have gone through years of the stigma of bad paper that should have been Good paper.

VA has recently determined to go over all PTSD vets cases, whereby the vet had a non medical but less than honorable discharge., because if those vets have PTSD from service currently, that is what must have caused (in most cases) the bad discharge in the first place.

You have won a Victory with this discharge upgrade! Congrats!

The DD 149 link in this topic should still bring the form up:

I usually say just put 'Not applicable' to the "injustice"part ,if this form is being used to make sure the DD 214 reflects all awards etc.

In your case this Was an injustice.

Make sure you refer them to any evidence you enclose with the form for the upgraded discharge.

And make sure you keep copies of everything and get a proof of mailing the DD 149.

Hopefully all awards will be put on it the DD 215.

The DD 215 is only about 1/4 the size of the DD 214 and should be submitted along with the DD 214 whenever you need to submit proof of service anywhere.

You might get new re issue of any service medals, decorations in the mail.from DOD.

If there are awards from the Vietnamese Government, a nice letter with the US awards says to buy them at a PX (or even on line) because the US does not manufacture the medals from Vietnam.

I think this is really great news to read here today.Justice has prevailed!

• HadIt.com Elder

Just try and get honorable changed to medical discharge with pension rights! Then BCMR gets nasty. Back in the day the military discharged thousands of PTSD and TBI cases as just honorable. Then you need to work for years with the VA to get what military should have identified before discharge. I got no discharge physical.

Thank you! It was a difficult battle to get my discharge changed. It all actually fell on my C&P when the examiner told me "The Army already admitted they did things to you and you saw things...". I thought she was messing with me, no one ever reports they are that nice. My doctor even told me be ready, C&P exams are nothing nice. Other than that, it really wasn't. She even reminded me of things I didn't remember - I guess I didn't want to.

On ebenifits I can print out the letters saying I have an honorable discharge and get the disability letters and all the good stuff, but my DD214 hasn't changed. I did file one of the papers asking the board to change it and printed out the medical rating and honorable discharge letters from ebenifits, I'm just waiting to hear back. I get the feeling this is a hurry up and wait situation.

Dealing with the VA and now having to deal with the BCMR is so confusing.

Thanks for all of your help! This forum has been great!

• HadIt.com Elder

I got my discharge upgraded shortly after discharge in 1971 after Vietnam. There was a short period of time when people were feeling bad about Vietnam and about the way our troops were treated. I was upgraded from General under Honorable to Honorable. I had been in the Army for almost 30 months on my enlistment when I was kicked out. I had been to Vietnam. The thing was that I was a pest. This is why I got tossed out. I complained about the crummy psychological treatment I was getting (no treatment). Then after I was out I was angry and depressed. Then I filed for disability and for discharge upgrade. For vets with emotional disorders unless you were psychotic you would get maybe 10% for what they called a "nervous condition". I knew quite a few vets with obvious TBI's and PTSD. They got nothing for many years. I also knew vets who got bad conduct discharges and undesireable discharges for being caught with a few pills or a bag of pot. This was the 1960's-70's and soldiers were being discharged from Vietnam with bad conduct discharge because they failed an urine test which I remember they started in 1970. Everyone knew the war was winding down and what better way to cut costs than to kick out soldiers and cut off their G.I. Bill bennies.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

"Everyone knew the war was winding down and what better way to cut costs than to kick out soldiers and cut off their G.I. Bill bennies."

To my knowledge, that's been going on since just before the Korean war really got going! My father was an AAF pilot in WWII. He ended up getting

sent back to the states from the pacific with re-occurring malaria. The military was initially paying some sort of benefit, and he was going to college.

Then, when the Korean war was starting up, the military decided to try and recall WWII veterans. The first step was to require a series of VA given C&P's

at a location over 100 miles away. (Two lane roads, overnight stay, loss of work days, etc.)

Then, they started to reduce the benefit, which was not much to begin with. Finally, even though he had re-occurring bouts of Malaria,

which continued into the 1960's or early 70's, the benefits were dropped. Somewhere along the line, the USAF tried to get the AAF WWII commissioned officers

to resign. What started that I don't know! Anyway, a group of the officers, including my father, told the USAF that they would fight the forced resignation, and so forth.

The end result of that was that the whole group was promoted a grade, and retired.