VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Marijuana And The Va

Rate this topic

http://www.hillandponton.com/medical-marijuana-va/?utm_source=1014nl&utm_medium=email&utm_term=va&utm_content=vanl&utm_campaign1014vanl

good reading and something you might not know

As election season nears, the medical marijuana debate is heating up the State of Florida. Florida is one of several states considering legalization, and my research shows that almost half of the states have already legalized medical marijuana. Because this issue is so controversial and polarizing, it made me wonder whether the VA has addressed the issue at all, and if so, where it stands.

I should note that the purpose of this blog is not to endorse or condone medical marijuana. On a practical level, I am blogging about this topic because the reality is that many disabled veterans are using marijuana to self-medicate and treat service-connected disabilities, for example, PTSD, chronic pain, anxiety, and the list could go on. For these veterans, most feel that marijuana offers better relief than the pills prescribed by their VA medical providers. In light of the reality “on the ground,” I feel it is important for veterans to know where the VA stands on the issues and how use of medical marijuana may impact their journey for health care and/or compensation benefits through the VA.

From the medical perspective, despite the reported benefits and common use of medical marijuana, I’ve never seen a VA doctor openly recommend this as a form of treatment. In fact, my experience is that VA medical providers tend to openly discourage use altogether.

As I researched this issue even further, I discovered VHA Directive 2011-004. In this Directive, VA makes it clear that its medical providers are not allowed to fill out forms, recommend, or give opinions regarding participation in medical marijuana programs, even in states where medical marijuana is legal. The Directive also states that for veterans who choose to use medical marijuana and participate in VA treatment programs at the same time, although they are not barred from VA treatment, decisions to modify VA treatment options could be a consequence. In other words, veterans may not be able to continue receiving some medications and/or treatments through the VA if they choose to use medical marijuana; even if they are participating in a legal and state sanctioned program. Essentially, VA providers are not allowed to even have a real discussion with their patients about medical marijuana, at least not to endorse it.

From the disability compensation perspective, if a veteran is using marijuana to self-medicate a service-connected condition, it is possible for any new conditions that develop as a result of marijuana use to also be service-connected under a theory of secondary service connection. So for example, if a veteran is smoking marijuana to self-medicate PTSD, and then later develops chronic obstructive pulmonary disease as a result of the marijuana, he may be able to obtain service connection for his COPD. Of course the possibility of service connection as linked to marijuana use may make some uneasy; however, it is possible under the law. The take away is that veterans should know that use of marijuana, depending on the circumstances, does not necessarily present a bar to VA disability benefits.

It is my understanding that the federal government recently approved a study to explore medical marijuana as a treatment for veterans with PTSD. It will be interesting to see what the federal government comes up with in this regard, and how the findings may or may not change the VA’s positions on this issue. As more and more states begin to legalize medical marijuana, I suspect the VA may have to revisit its policies in this regard.

Can't say I have tried it personally, not endorsing, of course to each his or her own, but wonder how much worse it can be. Lung cancer or destroyed liver and or kidney's , but pain relief, hmm at least it makes me wonder. Not really an option for me right now but a curious one at the least.

Seems to me the author and public at large does not seem to realize there are many

different ways to use the marijuana for medical purposes other than SMOKING IT.

Some are a thc mouth spray and many, many ways to ingest it.

It DOES NOT have to be smoked - that's up to the doctor,patient and dispensary.

Also - of note - the link the OP posted is for

Hill & Ponton: Social Security Disability & Veterans Disability Lawyers

I can't help but notice, looks like they are getting prepared to jump on the gravy-train bandwagon

to do claims for secondary conditions due to SMOKING medical mary-jane and VBA claims.

jmho

I didn't know you could get service connected for SELF-MEDICATING or using your own

self prescribe medication. Which is good to me because VA prescribe me a medication that's has 39

already reported side effects but want me to use it .I get it right in the trash can. Less side effects and

it helps try it you might like it for pain what a relief ,depression, helps a lot also with diabetes so I was told.

So you have choices, also BCBS even cover the pill for thc if you have a prescription for it Now this. jmho

I started having migraines while in the Army back in the eighties. My CO would make me go to the ER where they would shoot me up with demoral and put me in a dark and quiet room for 2 to 4 days. So I stopped telling them when I would have one and started "self-medicating" with marijuana. It helped more than the demoral. I can tell you from personal experience, if I could get it legally now, I would currently be high, not experiencing the pain I feel everyday, and maybe not be as suseptible to the effects of PTSD. For now, I still have a job, if I was able to "self-medicate", I might not be on the edge of getting let go from this one.

That being said... It might be a while, if ever, before that study actually gets off the ground.

"University of Arizona assistant professor Sue Sisley, the only researcher in America with federal authorization to study the effect of marijuana as a treatment for PTSD, was fired from her position and her research put on hold." (http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/07/16/veterans-ptsd-can-now-access-medical-marijuana-arizona)

"Physician with federal approval to test if pot can treat PTSD became a scientist without a lab Tuesday after the University of Arizona refused to reverse her firing, and her private funders vowed to move her study to another college."(http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pot-researcher-firing-unleashes-rising-veteran-backlash-n167691)

Edited by chuck57thSig

After more research, It looks like she may move the study to Colorado... Anybody in Colorado wanna try to sign up??? LOL

"Colorado's grant program is on the fast track; according to Gershman, the advisory committee will meet and score the finalist applications on November 21, then forward them to the state board of health so that the first grants can be awarded at the start of the new year.

Will Sisley make the cut? She'll be asking for about a million dollars — half the amount the state spent on its ludicrous "lab rat" campaign"

(http://www.westword.com/2014-09-04/news/calhoun-medical-marijuana-ptsd/2/)