VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asking For Home Modification

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I sent in the form to the VA asking for a walk-in shower instead of the tub and shower I have now. I made the case that I am going to bust my azz and break a hip one day in my tub and then the VA will have to take care of me. Of course, I would not let the VA touch me, or put me in their death house nursing home. I got a call from the VA today explaining that I have made a claim and that I will get a decision one day. It does not sound that optimistic if it is handled like any other claim for benefits. I expect a denial now. I asked about appeal rights, so I will probably be dead before I get the walk-in shower.

John

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

John,

My mother in law had the same concern about falling when trying to step up over the side of the tub. She was living in an apartment complex at the time. When my mother in law expressed her concern to the manager, they contacted one of these companies that resurfaces tubs and showers to remedy the situation. They ended up cutting a section out of the side of the tub leaving a raised section like you have in a standard shower. They refinished the area of the cut out and it looked great. I am not sure of the cost involved but I don't believe the apartment complex would have gone to any great expense. Just an idea.

Georgiapapa.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

John,

The VA could have at least been honest and stated you made a claim and would receive a denial one day... :)

Its easier and faster to ask your VA PCP for a consult to OT. OT then will schedule a home visit. After that they will help get you the walk in tub or help you with the HISA grant. I only found this out my applying for the housing grants and it was denied about a year later stating I was not 100% sc. But seems things are going fast thru my PCP, OT and HISA grant. You will need 3 bids to go along with the HISA grant.I'm also in the ILP program and counselor squashed walk-in tub in a matter of seconds.

• HadIt.com Elder

OK, but I am P&T. Can I get a consult to OT? I am Total plus 80% and housebound. I have PN in both feet and sometimes my feet get all messed up and I trip or slip. My ILP program guy rejoiced when he could deny my request for some music lessons. He wanted a PH. D. Thesis from my shrink to prove music lessons would improve my mental health.

If your p&t then it maybe approved for you. I'm not p&t, I'm rated at 40% but have claims in for increase. I guess that's why I was denied. Told my VA PCP about the home modification denial so she consulted me to OT. Everything started going fast from there. But I also goto Biloxi VA and will never go to another VAMC again. It has been nothing but great there. Guess every VA facility is different. I was at Jackson MS VA and they treated me like sh!!. Canceled appts without notice and treated me like a number.