• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Chris16365

Disability Rating From Va, Trying To Finish In Reserves Or Ang?

Question

My advance apologies if this is not the correct forum for my question, as I could not identify the perfect forum title for this type of inquiry. My question is that I have 14 years total active duty time (USMC) broken up over the last 25 years. I last left active duty in 2011 at age 40. I wont bore anyone with the reasons as to why I would leave with only needing six more years to a pension, but it has to do with my wife being in a different branch (Army LtCol) and our two branches no longer being able to work together and "co-assign" us to a location where we can both serve. Army and Marines together is about Wash DC and Hawaii only (places where we could both go). Her being an Army doctor, it was decided I would get out as we have two young daughters.

We are now moving north (NY) as the wife has finished her obligation, I have been looking into possibly serving those six more years I need in either the Reserves or Air National Guard. Im currently 43, but from what I understand I can subtract my 14 years active from my age, thus Im magically 29?

But my real question is this, upon getting out of the Corps, I got a total of 40% disability rating from the VA. 30% for PTSD, and 10% for an elbow surgery I had on active duty. Can anyone lend some advice or input as to my best angle of attack? Im reading some stuff online that says I need to contact the VA and have them cancel my payments (roughly $1100 monthly), Im seeing other stuff that says I need to ask the VA to drop me down to 30% to gain eligibility into the Reserves or ANG, and lastly tonight I read something that said I can serve in the NG, ANG or Reserves with a VA rating, but I would need to subtract my VA payments from the number of days I serve on weekend drills etc. so as to not be "double dipping". Seems I cant find a straight answer, but I have to assume some fellow vets have tried or looked into this and have the same situation as me. The smart thing to do would have been to join the Marine Corps Reserves when I was separating in 2011, as it was offered to me, but of course I was stupid and declined.

Any and all input from someone truly "knowledgeable" in this area would be greatly appreciated. As for asking a recruiter, amazingly I have been unable to get one to call me back in over a week, guess they are all "making mission this month".

Bumping it up

You have some good questions here and I think maybe you need to look over the CRDP CRSC info here...

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/special-pay/comparing-crsc-and-crdp.html

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html

"We are now moving north (NY) as the wife has finished her obligation, I have been looking into possibly serving those six more years I need in either the Reserves or Air National Guard. Im currently 43, but from what I understand I can subtract my 14 years active from my age, thus Im magically 29?"

I need to research that and get back to you........

"As for asking a recruiter, amazingly I have been unable to get one to call me back in over a week, guess they are all "making mission this month"."

Probably but also it is probable they would not even know the answer to your questions here....

sorry no one replied sooner.......as you can see we deal with a lot here.....and your asked some very good ones....!!!!!!!!!!

And BTW MARINE !!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY USMC!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I definitely jumped the gun on the CRDP stuff for you at this point.

I assume that this is not a MEB/PEB situation at all... sorry about that....

"I have been looking into possibly serving those six more years I need in either the Reserves or Air National Guard. Im currently 43, but from what I understand I can subtract my 14 years active from my age, thus Im magically 29?"

This link might help:
http://www.militaryonesource.mil/transition?content_id=271683

BUT I just found this at the Military.com forum....which might be the best way to get info on your situation:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/78192862/m/2510034992001

One of the commentors on this Mil.com post got jumped on.

I worked with PTSD vets at a vet center and married a PTSD vet (USMC) . and I agree in essence with what they said.....

BUT I dont want you to leave hadit...many of us jopin other Mil/vet sites and stay here as well ,because I know others will chime in here today and somehow we will get the skinny on the questions you asked.

Someone also addressed this issue at VBM (YUKU:)
http://vets.yuku.com/topic/64525

I haven't had time to read those entire links....

I assume they do not plan on pursuing any MEB.PEB stuff in the USMC regarding you?

Edited by Berta

Just to reference this with regards to my original post above with questions on ANG or Reserve duty, I was told today by an AF MSgt that I am not eligible for service DOD wide (any component) having been diagnosed or even claimed PTSD. Regardless of rating, he said just having PTSD annotated anywhere in my records, precludes me from getting into the Reserves, ANG or any DOD branch or component. Obviously I took this as bad news and I am very disappointed (I have 14 years active duty). When I asked him "then why was the Marine Corps trying to talk me into the Reserves when I was separating in 2011," to that he said that was because I was "already in" and unlike then, now I am out and trying to come back in. He said any break in service with any PTSD rating, and you can never re-enter any military service.

Last ditch effort for this old Marine, but can anyone tell me if they think this MSgt could be wrong? Would love to serve the last six years I need. Thanks in advance to any input or advice. Semper Fi

Happy Veterans day and thanks for your service. I am not knowledgeable in this area at all, but care about your endevors. I think that many of the recruters that you are asking these questions could be envious of your position and that they are not being factual with you.

40 percent PTSD is valuable out here even if it has no value on re entry. Maybe your condition has worsened or that there are secondary issues that can increase your percentage. Moving to NY and getting a GI home loan at your age with 2 daughters and a wife is a wonderfull thing. There are options for you. You can even work if you would like. Working and with your SC would make for a comforatable living.

Edited by Stretch