Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spinal Stenosis

Rate this question

Fat

Question

I recently had an MRI for a small disc bulge (between L4 and L5). I was noted to have spinal stenosis which is a hereditary degenerative condition.

I don't think the condition occurs instantly and often just deteriorates until it become a debilitative issue.

I'm sure the issue was present on active duty, but I have no records substantiating this.

Is spinal stenosis a presumptive condition even if it is discovered years later after leaving active duty?

All comments are welcome.

That is some scary crap. my stenosis is at the T11-T12 area, there im at 7mm, normal spacing should be at 12-14 mm. I also have moderate compression at the L3 nerve root bundle so it makes things complicated. I feel for you and understand your pain. Most time for me it's too much to bare now. Surgery and a few irrational options have been jumping around in my mind as of late. It's difficult to live with that is for certain.

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

That is some scary crap. my stenosis is at the T11-T12 area, there im at 7mm, normal spacing should be at 12-14 mm. I also have moderate compression at the L3 nerve root bundle so it makes things complicated. I feel for you and understand your pain. Most time for me it's too much to bare now. Surgery and a few irrational options have been jumping around in my mind as of late.

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

• HadIt.com Elder

Get lots of second opinions before you consider surgery. One of my surgeons was ready to start cutting right in the office, and the other said I did not need surgery for my stenosis. They were reading the same MRI. I am thinking of getting another opinion from a neurologist to see if some medication could help. I don't really trust any of these doctors unless they suffer from stenosis themselves. They would not be doing surgery if they did, of course.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

My spouse has degenerative bone/'joint desease of the spine scoliosis & osteoporosis and compression fracture's of the spine!

when she raises her arms to cut up lettus /salad she has bad back pain (lives on a heating pad)

she also has had the injections and epidural injections from VA pain clinic ...which only helped a few weeks,

They (VA pain clnic) put her in physical theraphy (swimming exercise) they never helped...then they did a surgical procedure called ''KYPHOPOASTY'' They went into her upper back Thorasic T6- T7 T-8 T-9 They went in with a micro needle type procedure and actually raised the area that was causing her pain with a balloon the bones was hitting nerves. So they injected some type of cement as the cement dried they let the air out of the balloon and that was suppose to stop her pain (raised the bones up off the nerves) but it didn't stop the pain she still has the pain maybe not quite as bad but its still there...she told me it felt like they were driving nails into her spine & was painful even with sadiation.

This has be ongoing for over ten years now...She live in severe pain daily!

This may not be the same as ''stenosis'' I'm not sure?

Don't Area's of the Back have two classes upper back is Thorasic and lower Back would be the Lumbar L-4 L-5.......T-6 T-7 ect,,ect,,??

To the orginal poster sorry got off topic here

''Fat''

Just my opinion &

I 'm not a Dr or anything close but in my opinion its most likely from wear tear on the body '' heavy lifting is most likely cause''...and I believe it could be a presumptive condition from old injurys acquired while in the military!

Most likely to as not from Heavy lifting while on active military service''

Edited by britton

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I have had two lumbar epidural injections since the first of the year. The first one gave me some relief for about six weeks. The second one did not provide any relief. My ortho doctor said I have spinal stenosis at L5-S1. My sciatica nerve in my left leg has been giving me problems for over a year and my doctor wants to do a microdiscectomy.

I am taking pain medications for the sciatica nerve pain plus I am still recovering from a badly broken ankle and lower leg caused when I fell in May of this year. I have severe neuropathy in my lower extremities which caused my fall. I have just gotten around to where I can walk without a walker by using splints on both of my ankles plus a cane. Due to my sciatica and numbness in my ankles, I can only walk short distances.

I had regular back surgery (L4-L5) in 2008 and I swore I would never have back surgery again. I really do not want to have more back surgery but I know I need to get some relief soon or I will go nuts. I have gotten a second opinion from my neurologist who has been taking care of me for my neuropathy. He reviewed my MRIs and agreed I need the surgery. I hope I can just hydrocodone my way through the holidays and have the surgery in January.