VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

So I Just Found Out I Was Awarded But..

Rate this question

asheth007

Question

The back pay amount is really low. I initially put in the claim in February 2014 did reconsideration in June after initial disapproval. I was retired from military in June of this year. I had exam on 28th October for SSA.

I was given the back pay today the lady on the phone that DDS made decision on the 6 November but I was selected for review blah blah. She said back oay was sent out and attorney paid so award letter will becoming soon.

The amount of backpack was $2999 wtf?

From my reading here it must be something with the onset date perhaps? I have this feeling they only gave me onset the day I retired from the military since it is technically the day I stopped working.

Any insight?

Thanks Berta I am going to file the IU with the SSA award letter. I know friends that started collecting SSDI before they hit their medical retirement date. I know I was employed by the army because I hadn't hit the retirement date for separation but it's just silly that counts against me. It's not like the army is McDonald's and I get fired the next day or terminated because of my disability. It's a contract and their is a process to separate someone from the military. Strange they chose August as the onset date which is a month or so after my retirement date and I can't think of anything significant that happened in August.

Pure speculation on my part is that I did have my first visit with the VA rheumatologist in August, but she just continued the diagnoses that I had from when I was still in service.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have binder and binder. So they told me that SSA didn't agree with the onset date of 2012. They determined onset as August 2014.

Are they crazy every piece of evidence supports 2012?

I think the fact that I didn't retire from military till June 15 is the issue even though all my medical evidence shows I was diagnosed in 2012. I have profiles from doctors with limited duties etc because of my condition.

The case worker said they will give the evidence to Mr. Binder and they will see if we have strong evidence to appeal onset. I would be very surprised if they don't fight this.

"I think the fact that I didn't retire from military till June 15 is the issue"

The retirement date is the date that an active duty member is no longer employed by the military. So that date is the basis of any SSDI.

Thanks Chuck and others I'be been doing more reading. What I was missing was that Alleged onset date and Established on set plus 12 months is max it can go with retro pay plus the mandatory 5 month waiting period.

So they gave me a established date of August my first payment is December 3rd. That's the five month wait period.

So best case scenario would be gettjng the pay from June or July this year. Which would be about $2600 dollars but risk losing the benefits all together.

I think I have come to grips with it I'll learn more in the letter.

I am greatful to have this process over because that was much needed income. Now I can focus all my lasers on the VA claims.

I'm wondering what benefits come with SSDI esoecially for my children

Edited by asheth007

Need some more help understanding this.

Ok I got the a letter from SSA it basically says the following:

Dated 14 November 2014

We determined that you meet the medical requirements for disability. We have yet to determine that you meet the non-medical requirements. We will make that determination soon, which must have been the Tuesday when they deposited Monday.

Onset date piece says that I alleged onset March 1 2012 medical evidence doesn't support that. Medical does however support onset for March 1 2014. So onset is established as March 1 2014.

Now binder and binder called them and was told onset is August 1 2014. When I log into SSA website it says my onset is also 1 August 2014. I know my file was "randomly selected for review prior to approval" according to the National SSA office.

So somewhere between DDS and the local office that makes the final decision my onset changed.

By my math I'm looking at monthly award the difference is about 5-6000 dollars that missed out on of they gave me the March date.

I'm sure the main information will be in the big letter. I guess right now I'm thinking out loud and sharing with you guys helps ease my mind to get input.

Edited by asheth007

They type all kinds of things that don't make sense in those letters sometimes.

Even if you met the physical requirements for being disabled in 2012, you don't generally meet the SSA standards until your income is below "substantial gainful."

As far as your children are concerned, they should receive what is referred to as ancillary benefits. The folks at SSA should have asked if you had any dependents. If they didn't ask, or don't have that on your record, you should tell them.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0353.htm

§ 404.353. Child's benefit amounts.(a) General. Your child's monthly benefit is equal to one-half of the insured person's primary insurance amount if he or she is alive and three-fourths of the primary insurance amount if he or she has died. The amount of your monthly benefit may change as explained in § 404.304.

However, if you have more than one child, that benefit will be split between them.

The payment does not go directly to the child. The payment is paid to a representative payee (usually the parent) on behalf of the child.

Edited by free_spirit_etc