Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

green

Question

I've had a diagnosed and rated condition (diabetes) for 20 years and am preparing to file for the following secondary conditions:

peripheral neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, autonomic neuropathy, and impotence.

I sent in a request for my records from two hospitals a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping that since all my appointments aren't documented on myhealthevet that the facilities might have hard copies. The records span 3 years in DC and 9 years (previous) in another State does anyone have an idea of how long this process takes?

Another question related to documentation for a condition, I copied the following out of my VA records, can you tell me if it will be accepted as a diagnosis (please note the comments in bold)

The process of medication reconciliation was completed during today's visit. The veteran's current medications (including non-VA medications and any changes made today) were reviewed with the patient and/or caregiver. A written list was offered and/or provided. Assessment:5 2 yo male with type I DM on insulin pump presents with 12 yr history of water diarrhea, colonoscopy done with no colitis or microcolitis, normal biopsy. Celiac workup neg, cultures neg. Gastroneuropathy or "diabetic gut" suspected. ManagEment of symptoms is key.

Recommendation: Start with loperamide 2mg take one in am, and then one after each loose stool for maximum of 8 a day. Cholestriamine unlikely to help and no need to continue. DR’s Name,  Signed: 04/22/2013 / Doctor Somethin,MD, ATTENDING PHYSICIAN, GASTROENTEROLOGY, HEPATOLOGY

ADDENDUM  saw and examined Mr. Green and discussed his symptoms with him in detail. He is a 52 year old with 30 yr history of type I DM and longstanding diarrhea, 5-6 watery BM/day with fecal incontinence occasionally at night. Colonoscopy was negative for microscopic colitis. No evidence of bacterial overgrowth or infection. We discussed the management of diabetic intestinal neuropathy which is the likely diagnosis here. He will take loperamide as described, and if not effective, we can make further adjust

Thank you so much for your help

Edited by green
too easy for VA to figure out who I am given the information provided.

Green

"We discussed the management of diabetic intestinal neuropathy which is the likely diagnosis here."

By all means claim that too and send them a copy of that medical report highlighting ,on the copy , the diagnosis.

How is the 60 % SC broken down?

And Welcome to hadit Marine.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

The 60% is a single rating for diabetes only, I was rated at 20% initially, and hit the 20-year mark on the 60% rating earlier this month . I am not presently rated for any secondary conditions. Berta, thank you for the warm welcome.

Green

I sent in a request for my records from two hospitals a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping that since all my appointments aren't documented on myhealthevet that the facilities might have hard copies. The records span 3 years in DC and 9 years (previous) in another State does anyone have an idea of how long this process takes?

Green

I sure hope it doesn't take too long...I dont even have a guesstimate....

Diabetes...I know more about DMII then I ever dreamed I would learn.

I filed a claim for direct SC DMII death of my husband due to Agent Orange.

He had never been diagnosed or treated by the VA ,his sole medical care provider,for DMII.

I used the 1997 VA diabetes training letter which gave me a clue that I ran with...long story there

(my daughter, a veteran herself insisted I file the claim but without the diagnosis I wasnt sure I would succeed.) and then other documented symptoms in his VA med recs and his autopsy (along with the FTCA claim I won) helped prove the DMII contributed to his 1151 death. The claim succeeded.

They awarded a direct SC death, trumping the 1151 claim.

Here in this link is the newer version of the VA DMII Training Letter and it lists many complications and secondarys of DMII:

Some secondarys are obvious but some the VA might hem and haw about.

You have conditions that are an obvious nexus in my opinion to your diabetes, so I hope VA doesn't come up with some bull crap other etiology for them.

For the ED...that could definitely be due to the diabetes as well to any one of the meds you take that could cause ED.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thank you again Berta!

I had a discussion with an attorney today who specializes in VA compensation claims and he told me I have a solid case. He suggested that as I've had these secondary conditions noted in my medical files for years that I provide the older records as I may be entitled to back pay. We will see.

Green

Green

I received my medical records from the DC VA Hospital, the time period covers 3 years and it took almost 3 weeks for them to print and provide me the copies. I'm pretty excited as this has provided me with about everything I need for my claim. And it did contain information not covered in the blue button feature on myhealthevet. I'm still waiting on records from another VA Hospital but the time span was over 9 years so I assume that will take a bit longer.

Green