Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

green

Question

I've had a diagnosed and rated condition (diabetes) for 20 years and am preparing to file for the following secondary conditions:

peripheral neuropathy, diabetic retinopathy, autonomic neuropathy, and impotence.

I sent in a request for my records from two hospitals a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping that since all my appointments aren't documented on myhealthevet that the facilities might have hard copies. The records span 3 years in DC and 9 years (previous) in another State does anyone have an idea of how long this process takes?

Another question related to documentation for a condition, I copied the following out of my VA records, can you tell me if it will be accepted as a diagnosis (please note the comments in bold)

The process of medication reconciliation was completed during today's visit. The veteran's current medications (including non-VA medications and any changes made today) were reviewed with the patient and/or caregiver. A written list was offered and/or provided. Assessment:5 2 yo male with type I DM on insulin pump presents with 12 yr history of water diarrhea, colonoscopy done with no colitis or microcolitis, normal biopsy. Celiac workup neg, cultures neg. Gastroneuropathy or "diabetic gut" suspected. ManagEment of symptoms is key.

Recommendation: Start with loperamide 2mg take one in am, and then one after each loose stool for maximum of 8 a day. Cholestriamine unlikely to help and no need to continue. DR’s Name,  Signed: 04/22/2013 / Doctor Somethin,MD, ATTENDING PHYSICIAN, GASTROENTEROLOGY, HEPATOLOGY

ADDENDUM  saw and examined Mr. Green and discussed his symptoms with him in detail. He is a 52 year old with 30 yr history of type I DM and longstanding diarrhea, 5-6 watery BM/day with fecal incontinence occasionally at night. Colonoscopy was negative for microscopic colitis. No evidence of bacterial overgrowth or infection. We discussed the management of diabetic intestinal neuropathy which is the likely diagnosis here. He will take loperamide as described, and if not effective, we can make further adjust

Thank you so much for your help

Edited by green
too easy for VA to figure out who I am given the information provided.

Green

Green: Open up your E-Ben site and Start the ON-line App, you get all your questions answered there. Just don't hit the Submit Button. Your File Date is now locked unless you don't submit it within the 364 days. Without opening my EBen site, I think if you link to online comp claim filing your automatically linked with VONAP. Over the past 3-5 years, all my claims have been started on the E-Ben site. The only option I remember in regards to claims was regular or the new FDC.

Help me out, you just got a SC increase to 60%, when? I thought you mentioned 83 as orig 20% SC date and increase to 60% in 2014? Did you actually file for an increase?

Semper Fi

Gastone

1983 = separation initial 20% rating

1994 = request for reconsideration and rating decision being 60%

And now I'm submitting for the following secondary conditions

peripheral neuropathy hands and feet

autonomic neuropathy, intestines

diabetic retinopathy, both eyes

I started the VA Form 21-526-EZ on ebenefits, when you start it explains that the clock starts ticking and you have 364 days to finish the process of providing all the necessary information. I simply provided part of the information, clicked save, and exited the program. I later received an email on ebenefits acknowledging I started a new claim.

Edited by green

Green

I've now received all my medical files and am going through them. I'm pursuing the expedited route (21-526 EZ) and was thinking that the most straight forward approach would be creating a separate PDF file with the necessary medical files providing support for each secondary condition and naming them as such (i.e. peripheral neuropathy medical records, etc). There will be some redundancy given multiple secondary conditions may be mentioned during the same medical appointment. Does this seem reasonable to you folks?

It was interesting that in reviewing my files there are a lot of inaccuracies in how the Dr's and PA's documented things. Should I include the data that is incorrect in my records submission or only the accurate information? I want to fully disclose everything I have but am concerned that a rater may read the inaccurate data and as such make incorrect decisions.

I certainly appreciate your help.

Green

Green