Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Excuse My Ra(N)Ting

Rate this topic

Not sure if this is the place to navigate but:

A few months ago I went to a follow-up appointment for a newly-diagnosed physical condition with a new primary care doc who had been at the VAMC only a few months or so. I was explaining or asking about something at one point when my 100 percent total and permanent VA-compensated mental condition (anxiety/depression) kicked in and I started to stutter and/or hesitate. The doc basically told me to "get on with it" and that he couldn't help me if I didn't "spit it out". At this point, a potential meltdown began inside me because I generally don't like smart-asses but I held it together with my wife, as often happens, containing me. Also, I have read here at hadit, or elsewhere, about security being called on "bad vets" or otherwise being "flagged" in the system. After I calmed down considerably, I was still wondering how could a doctor in the same medical center where I go for my mental health be so insensitive to a veteran. Wait, that wasn't s* compared to the other that went on in the MH ward itself! D* short-term memory! Anyway, I go back tomorrow, I believe, with the same doc. Been wanting to vent for a while but figured I should go ahead; might help. It's not that I don't trust patient advocates but... (you probably know the rest).

out_here

:unsure:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a non-VA discount dental office years ago where the dentist was a turd to both staff and patients; I was ready to throttle the guy.

I wrote a scathing letter and next trip he was gone (I likely wasn't the only one who complained).

Please take a moment to explain to that doctor in diplomatic terms how you felt about last time. Do this at the beginning of your time together.

If he's anything less than cordial go directly to patient advocate and ask them what is next and when. We may not have a lot of faith in The System but you know you have to go thru Chain of Command to build the best case.

The VA has trouble attracting/retaining the best & brightest but that doesn't mean vets should 'settle.'

Please do this not just for yourself but for all veterans who may suffer under a less than excellent employee.

I totally agree with Notorious Kelly.

Politicians and VA high ranking officials often state veterans deserve the best healthcare available. The new VA secretary has stated this recently. If you are not receiving good quality healthcare and the respect you deserve from a VA healthcare provider, don't hesitate to let the VA healthcare provider know your feelings. Also, let them know you will not hesitate to contact Secretary McDonald if necessary. Don't put up with their BS because you do deserve the best healthcare available and you damn sure deserve to be treated in a respectful manner. JMO

Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your not comfortable with your New PCP request another Dr, I've had some smart-ass VA Dr's Too... one doc I was discussing about when I fell off a truck in Nam and landed on my knees I ask him could that be in part as to why I have arthritics in both my knees? I was around 39 then ''not likely'' he said...couple days later I went got my medical records mostly to see what this doc put in his report and he said I was trying to be compensated I never said anything bout that....and a bunch of other stuff we never discussed.

Some VA Dr's ''are not favorable'' or'' helpful'' to the Vet..I hope Bob .R. McDonald Is weeding them kind Dr's out of the VA.

Like I mention Request a different PCP! ..Just be honest and say your just not comfortable with him!

OUT: Stop in and see the old "Ombudsman" there at your VAH. File a written complaint regarding your problems with the DR. VA's big on paper trail. leave one. Wouldn't hurt to check your Med recds Clinician Notes from your appointment. See what the squirrel had to say about you.

As far as getting a new Dr, I just asked for a referral to another VA Dr in same section, worked for me.

Semper Fi

Gastone