VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Survey Of Timelines

Rate this question

VRhodes

Question

Folks:

I've been researching this and, it's mostly whom gets your claim, their individual backlog, the complexity of your contentions as well as the number of your contentions. I think that the standard answer to do a timley FDC is to only put in 2 contentions and once that completed annd your are receiveing compensation, then file another claim for more contentions. The VBA stats show that they track claims by 7 claims and less and then 8 claims and more so the system is geared that way. I also think that this correspondes partly in the fast, slow and medium lanes that they may go into. That all said, I think it's mostly whom gets your claim and how they work them? I think a complex claim like mine is likley to go to a more senior rater that is very busy and can push the claims like mine back to a longer timeline because they can get many more easier claims done sooner which makes their stats look better. Certainly, with the knowledge that I obtained by Hadit.com, now I would have changed my entire strategy in filing my claims, I would have submitted my top 7 contentions in FDC claim one and the remainder in claim two instead of filing all contentions in my first claim as per the VSO. If you can't wait and need assistance right now..meaning within 12 months, I would have only filed my top two contentions for claim one. But keep in mind that it's hard to predict timelines because there are just two many variables to determine an accurate timeline for any one specific claim? I still beleive the raters, are just doing the best job that they can given their experience and the pressure that they probably live with...everyday.

I've submitted 2 claims individually to the San Diego VARO and received decisions on both within 5 months. The first one was for a heart attack (AO) and the second was for tennitis. Both were FDC and both had favorable decisions (60% for the heart and the standard 10% for the tennitis). I recently submitted a claim for PTSD (Viet Nam medic) and it still isn't being reflected in eBennies (sumitted on November 12th).

I think one of the problems is the sheer amount of claims the VA deals with.

I don't think workers intentionally screw veterans; however I do believe some workers don't view all material forwarded.

Veterans have to be smart and know a claim isn't good just because you filed it.

1. The mental health, injury, sickness, etc has to be documented in your SMR or you have to have a presumptive illness by duty station location to even start the process.

Information is the key.

Make sure you can validate every portion of information in your SMR.

Location, dates, diagnosis, treatments, etc.

Many claims are derailed because veterans remember a episode or visit to sick call, but little to any other information regarding the incident.

2. Medical records, tests, evaluations, x-rays, CT Scans, etc have to show the in service disability is still present.

3. Next, you have to show residuals (ailments) from the disability and current treatment records addressing the issue.

4. Your doctor should submit a DBQ, Nexus Letter, or Independent Medical Opinion to support you current status and link it to your military records.

By doing these steps, you take 80% of the guess work from a VA worker and force them to make a decision on the evidence.

Lastly, stop filing 50 or 60 contentions hoping something sticks. If you can't medically support the claim with evidence (tests, x-ray, cardiogram, CT Scan, nerve tests, hearing tests, etc) through a licensed therapist, physician, psychologist, or psychiatrist, you are wasting your time.

You will become upset because the VA has nothing to substantiate your claim with.

A good claim takes a little homework, research, and precise information.

Sound medical evidence and treatment is gold when supporting VA claims.