Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed for SS Retirement back in Aug 2014 I turn 62 in July 2014...approved for SSR.....Can I file online for SSDI and have them to change it over from SSR to SSD? or SSDI...although I don't show a work record with SSA since 1995...

I won VA claim back in Dec 2002 TDIU P/T disability is of nature and no future exams scheduled.

I did filed for SSDI IN 2003 was ''DENIED''3 Times So I just waited until age 62 to file for SSR...what are my chances of getting approved and have thrm change it over from SSR TO SSD OR SSDI?

And is it better to file online? the SSA office here is always busy and full no where to sit when you get there!

Thanks...anybody?

• HadIt.com Elder

I would suggest finding a good lawyer, specializing in SSDI law at www.nosscr.org. You should be able to find one who, based on your previous denials and your TDIU win back to 2002, should be able to win the claim for you. I believe there is a 10 yr rule on the work period.

I doubt you could win this on your own, unless you purchased the complete SSDI law books, I purchased some yrs back and did some serious studying. At the time they cost me about $800.

jmo

pr

According to my own experience, one can file for SSDI after they filed SSI, and even after they began collecting SSI. I didn't go to a lawyer to get SSDI. I followed the Social Security Administration guidelines for filing SSDI. One does have to show that they haven't work for at least six months after they began receiving SSI in order to qualify for SSDI. I filed for SSI in March of 2013, turned 62 in August and began collecting my early retirement at age 62. I couldn't work any longer due to physical disability and PTSD symptom which kept me from continuing to work after I turned age 62. I suggest trying to get SSDI yourself before you go to an attorney to save yourself the expenses. It's not all that difficult. It does take making sure you have your work record for evidences and being already rated at the VA for compensation helped me shore up my SSDI claim. I strongly suggest you going for it yourself, and good luck!

The downfall of getting SSDI when you are at age 62, once you get it, when you turn 66, they will put you back on your regular SSI. But as long as you have proper documentation to show that you are not able to work during the 5 month period after you filed for SSI, then you're ok.

Good documentation is essential in attempt to get SSDI, especially if an attorney is not involved but it's definitely doable. I DID and saved myself the money to the lawyer. It definitely helps if one is already receiving a compensation rating from the VA. The Social Security Administration will look to your health record at the VA for evidences of you being disabled.

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh ok,

Yeah I doubt I could win it without a lawyer....I may just forget it then..I been reading the SSA web site ... the thing that may hurt me is my work record but I know some that never worked and on SSDI....Oh well guess that pops my bubble.

Thanks Philip

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you benanna,

I am undecided as what to do?

I'll be 66 in 4 years and if there is not that much different in the pay??...I may as well just stay where I am.

I'm on SSI. or I call it SS Retirement they based that on the years I did work from 1966 to 1995 before becoming disabled.

It's up to 968 starting next year 2015 with the 1.7%increase, not sure what the SSDI would be?...I have not worked since 1995 Altho I did odd jobs mow grass and clean yards stuff like that my wife kept working and it made me feel like crap I completely stopped working in 1999..so I don't have a work record with SSD Dated back to 1995 my VA award was God send.