VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed for SS Retirement back in Aug 2014 I turn 62 in July 2014...approved for SSR.....Can I file online for SSDI and have them to change it over from SSR to SSD? or SSDI...although I don't show a work record with SSA since 1995...

I won VA claim back in Dec 2002 TDIU P/T disability is of nature and no future exams scheduled.

I did filed for SSDI IN 2003 was ''DENIED''3 Times So I just waited until age 62 to file for SSR...what are my chances of getting approved and have thrm change it over from SSR TO SSD OR SSDI?

And is it better to file online? the SSA office here is always busy and full no where to sit when you get there!

Thanks...anybody?

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck52 - you should be all set, if they'll take your case. Mine was a one lawyer office, w/a secretary. Sometimes those large firms won't take cases because they may be a little more work than they want but that's usually the screener's fault.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

The downfall of getting SSDI when you are at age 62, once you get it, when you turn 66, they will put you back on your regular SSI. But as long as you have proper documentation to show that you are not able to work during the 5 month period after you filed for SSI, then you're ok.

Thats not really a "downfall", and should not result in a change to the monthly amount SSA is paying. In fact, SSDI at 62 means that the amount is what you would have been paid if you retired at the full retirement age. So, what it really means is that the same money comes from a different part of the same government "pocket" when you reach full retirement age.

Edited by Chuck75

The good things about large SSDI advocate firms like Binder&Binder are basically three fold:

1) They process hundreds of thousands of cases and have a game plan for just about anything we can claim

2) Their primary concern is the shortest time to win and collect their fee so they can move to another case

3) They know who to contact at the regional level when the local state yocals are sitting around playing with themselves.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah,

well its hard to til who to get?...>usually they all say things like that its them doing it that matters,

I will do a few free evaluation with a couple of SSDI Law Firms Before I decide. like Philip mention some won't do it if they think its no interest to them or think you may not win and get paralegals up front to screen/weed out the ones that they have slam-dunks with!

Coats & Todd sounds fairly good to there active members with nosscr and specialize in SSDl Law & They Also do Veterans Claims.

The only thing if any of the Law Firms want there $ up front then I'am SOL. Back in the summer just took out a major loan at the Bank for replacement of our HAVAC Sytem. A/C & Heating..around 14.000.00 grand

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Most, if they feel you have a valid/winnable claim don't require any up front money, preferring to have you sign an agreement, for the percentage of past due monies allowed by the SSA. If they require any money up front, other than a $25 or $50 one hour consultation fee, I'd find another outfit. They basically put a lien against your winnings, then the SSA withholds about 25% of your retro, paying you the other 75%, then pays the attorneys and then sends you any balance. Their fee is limited by the SSA.

For hearing loss the Blue Book uses the levels posted below to determine disability:

2.10 Hearing loss not treated with cochlear implantation.

A. An average air conduction hearing threshold of 90 decibels or greater in the better ear and an average bone conduction hearing threshold of 60 decibels or greater in the better ear (see 2.00B2c).

OR

B. A word recognition score of 40 percent or less in the better ear determined using a standardized list of phonetically balanced monosyllabic words (see 2.00B2e).

They are also more lenient on claimants 55 yo or older.

pr