Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Selected For Ace Exams - Any Vets Advice -Is This Good - Bad?

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

It's a long story and I'll spare you most of the details. Anyway, when I first filed my FDC claim, I did 13 DBQ's and the subsequent exams that go along with them to speed along the FDC. So, little happened at first for over 6 months as my claim was stuck in "Review". The original estimted completion dates for my claim went from 15 months to 31 months as of 12/10/2014? So, I filed a FOIA to enusre that all of my files were present and were digitised into the VBMS System.? But..this action appeared to birng my case to a screeching halt? After several FOIA status letters, I got a letter from the RO that I could come down and review my C-File? Well, when I got there...they were surpised that I showed up and said "no" at first to reviewing the file and then after I spoke up said, "not then" but a very nice VBA Rep helped me before I left and later on another call a few days later. I was told that VBA had to go out and find "all" of my records and that's the reason for the extra time? I argued that they already had "all" of my records beause I filed an FDC and further certifited earlier that all of my records were in their possession already as part of my FDC package. Also, I argued that with all of the extensive prep work that I did that it made no sense to double my claim completion dates and it should have actually cut them in half...and the VBA Rep agreed. Also, he notified me yesterday that I was being scheduled for at least four new ACE Exams for Tinnitus, Obstructive Sleep Apena, Gulf War Issues and one I could not remember? I already have SMRS' confirming all of this including a lot of audiology tests in the military. I was involved in a surprise explosion as a Tank Commander without hearing protection being on me. I would not have been wearing protection at that time anyway based upon the mission. But, it's interesting that they would do something like this Tinnitus Test over the phone anyway?

Because, I'm not familiar with these (ACE Exams) I am doing my research now to prepare, I'm not sure if it's either, good, bad or nuetral that we are doing ACE instrad of more C&P Exams? I know that the Hadit.com Forum has some information on the ACE Exams and I'm doing my reserach now. Consequently, my file does have very extensive SMR evidence (about 1500 pages) and the OSA was diagnosed in the Military and again by a very prominent Sleep Doctor in the civilian Sector who confirmed it. Frankly, I have not sleapt in the same room with my wife for many years because she says that my night time breathing really scares her? Frankly, that's my biggest motivator to get this claim done so I can get some help on the OSA...otherwise some OSA patients stroke out and have many other issues that I'm really worried about now.

Anyway, if anypone can shed some light on the ACE's and how they work, I would appreciate it..

Edited by rootbeer22

To the best of my knowledge, there is no definitive medical test to determine if you have tinnitus. Others can not hear the ringing in your ears. It is determined based on your responses to questions regarding your noise exposure, hearing loss, military occupational specialty, your description of the tinnitus, etc. I can see how they could conduct your exam for tinnitus on the telephone.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you ask the Audologist about what you hear in your head? some sounds are different, but its all called tinnitus , I have sounds that sound like crickets chrupin on a creek bank and a hum but to me its mostly sounds like crickets & that's what I ask my audiologist and she said it was tinnitus

usually tinnitus is secondary to hearing loss.

We will always have it but it can be masked I never have found anything that masked mine and it is driving me crazy.

especially at bedtime!

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Buck52,

I have told others for years that my tinnitus sounded more like crickets rather than just ringing in my ears. I am glad to know that someone else hears the same sound. I have used a white noise machine for over 40 years at night so I can get some sleep. Without a background noise to mask my tinnitus, it sounds like I am hearing thousands of crickets at the same time. Severe tinnitus by itself is enough to drive anyone crazy.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

White noise machine while sleeping does help me. Mine sounds like the high pitched whining of an old 1970's era television turning on, but varies in intensity.

They gave me a standard hearing test at the VAMC, but said there was not a test specifically that could classify tinnitus.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

I think you ask the Audologist about what you hear in your head? some sounds are different, but its all called tinnitus , I have sounds that sound like crickets chrupin on a creek bank and a hum but to me its mostly sounds like crickets & that's what I ask my audiologist and she said it was tinnitus

usually tinnitus is secondary to hearing loss.

We will always have it but it can be masked I never have found anything that masked mine and it is driving me crazy.

especially at bedtime!

I have had very bad tinnitus for over 25 years..I listen to music or radio talk shows via earphones or a blutooth device..it works great to help me get to sleep

You had to have had an exam already in order for them to do an ACE. An Ace happens when an onsite provider(doctor) clarifies or another physician what the examiner said on the exam you had. This is normal because the rater feels that the exam is clear on the opinion made or didn't give an opinion such as more than likely,less likely at least likely. So did you have an exam already for these issues?