VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heart Attack?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

A heart cath is less troublesome than in the past. Normally, you end up with a small circular area on the inside upper leg that is a bit tender afterwards.

The old method was to make an incision about two to three inches long. With that method, pressure had to be maintained on the incision for some time afterwards,

and the resultant hassle with stitches and so forth.

The reason for prepping both sides is that it's remotely possible that two caths might be necessary, depending on the location and severity of a blockage.

One cath can be used to remove the blockage, and the other to implant a stint, as an example. Or the second can be used to filter possible debris that might be caused by

the stint implantation or blockage removal. Balloon angioplasty can also be done. The right groin is usually the preferred entry point, and the left used for a second simultaneous cath, if needed.

Anesthesia can vary from "knocking you out", to leaving you conscious, with reduced but not eliminated momentary pain/pressure from the cath insertion.

If the latter is the case, you may know exactly what is occurring, and not be able to "move a muscle" or speak. It's arguable as to which is better, although

less anesthesia is usually far less risky than more.

If conscious, you may actually be able to see the cath end and so forth via a monitor screen as it's used, as well as any dye used to

trace circulation and so forth. The cath can also be used to measure local pressures, pressure waveforms, and flow if needed.

"Been down both roads", albeit reluctantly! Have another one scheduled via "fee paid" with my non VA cardiologist.

Edited by Chuck75

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I also need a colonoscopy. I had an endoscopy about 6 months ago. The VA has really messed up my records in the past. There is another guy with my name on my Alpha Team at the Tampa VA. They get our records mixed up even with different SSA numbers. I will also ask my cardiologist if my DX for CAD could cause my OSA. I think indirectly my OSA is caused by my AO induced PN for sure since I have gained weight because I can hardly walk some days and I sit around a lot more than I did before the PN. I am also SC'ed for CAD and I am not even sure I have it. I don't argue because that is how I got "S". With the OSA I just really want to be cured which is why I had the Inspire surgery and implant.

John

John,

Did you have anesthesia for the endoscopy? I have a endoscopy every two years as a result of multiple stomach polyps. I have a colonoscopy every three years now because they found polyps on previous colonoscopies. They use propophol to sedate me during both procedures.

My PN pain woke me up at 3:15 this morning and I could not go back to sleep. Taking Gabapentin and amitrypline but they provide very little relief for the burning and sharp pains in my feet. Is there any type of surgery or other treatment methods for severe neuropathy pain?