Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Venting Sorry

Rate this question

Scottyp65

Question

Just venting but hope it works out in somehow.

Neighbor's son went joined the Navy and became a medic type (sorry can't seem to spell the Navy title right). Then comes along the recent conflicts. Now he is "Home".

We, his Mom, peer friends, and myself have been trying to get him to go to the VA. He has signifigant issues since his "in the box" time. I won't go into it because many here have been through much of the same if not worse. Suffice it to say he has a full spectrum of medical concerns now.

Edited by Scottyp65

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Guest terrysturgis

Scotty, If I were you I would not be too hard on the father as him not being a Veteran he has no idea what his son is going through. I am just the opposite, my father was a WWII airborne and he called my service in Viet Nam "the Boy Scouts". He was 100% for what the VA at the time called "Nervous Disorder" now a days known as PTSD. We never talked about our service with each other till the movie Saving Private Ryan came out. I asked him "so like where were you on D-Day?". He said "where the F___ do you think I was". No further conversation.

With the help of our family here on Hadit I reach out to Veterans every chance I get. You are right that the knowledge shared here is a great help for us to assist other Veterans receive the benifits they have earned. I have a friend that is having major problems and I tried to help him when he was in trouble with the law but he is resisting all help. Lead a horse to water, etc. Can't help if he does not want to be helped. I hope that your neighbor gets the help he deserves.

I appreciate your efforts to help neighbors son. Trying to help Veterans, meaning Veterans of all wars, is what I look at as my job. THANKS! Terry Sturgis

• HadIt.com Elder

The Terrys

I knew something was wrong with me also when I got out in 1971. I went to the VA and I am glad I did because that opened the door for my 100% today. The VA did not help me, but at least I got service connected by filing within a year. I did it partly because my father had filed for a disability when he got out and even though is was peanuts it was something and he kept the G.I. life insurance which paid big dividends since he died at 43 and was a WWII vet. I never got to talk to my father about WWII. I know he got shook up from being in bombardments, but he got his honorable discharge and went on about his business. I read some letters he wrote about being constantly on the move because he was with 320 Glider Regiment that was part of the 82 Airborne. I think it took a toll on him because he was not a young man when he was drafted.