VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clinically Diagnosed?

Rate this question

silverdollar22

Question

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue. Iwas recently denied for a claim for bilateral lower extremity lumbar radiculopathy. They said in my desicion that and i quote (the medical evidence of record fails to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed). What does that mean? I thought i had this one in the bag.

Check this out. This is what they said in my MRI:

At L2 L3 there is a

right paracentral and foraminal disc protrusion with extrusion

and mild superior migration, producing narrowing of the right

lateral recess and posterior displacement of the right L3 nerve

root. Protrusion contacts and produce mild displacement of the a

right L2 nerve root within the neural foramen.

Impression:

1. L2 L3 right paracentral and foraminal disc protrusion with

extrusion and mild superior migration, producing mild

displacement of the right L2 nerve within the neural foramen and

the right L3 nerve within the lateral recess. Please correlate

clinically for right L2 and/or L3 radiculopathies

Would'nt that be a diagnoses? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Have you been diagnosed for and established SC for the right L2/L3 radiculopathies already?

They seem to be using the word corrolate in this way:

to corrolate : 'have a mutual relationship or connection, in which one thing affects or depends on another.'

Was this MRI regarding a secondary claim you filed ?

Was there any more to the C & P as to VA's request that a corrolation statement made? (with a full medical rationale)

MRIs are one thing but the whole C & P is what controls how the raters view a disability.

Do you have a copy of the actual C & P?

Edited by Berta

Protrusion and impingement doesn't always present as a neuropathy condition. Thats what I originally thought, too, years ago. The 'Correlate' entry indicates that you should be referred to either a neurologist for followup and an emg, or a sensation test/pinprick (that your PCP can probably also do) to demonstrate that it actually presents as a symptom. Of all the nerve roots in the lower spine they can be traced to distinct areas of the foot. I used to have a chart that showed it all. I can look for it if you wish.

CAS

Cedric Satterfield
Technical Support Engineer, STANLEY Healthcare
4600 Vine Street, Lincoln, NE 68503
T - 1-800-380-8883
cedric.satterfield@sbdinc.com
www.stanleyhealthcare.com

Berta

Have you been diagnosed for and established SC for the right L2/L3 radiculopathies already? No just the back and both knees.

Was this MRI regarding a secondary claim you filed ? No, just a routine MRI for the pain in my back from my va doc.

Was there any more to the C & P as to VA's request that a corrolation statement made? The c&p was done thru QTC so no copy and i assume was just for my back and knee.

Should i get my va doc to refer me to someone that can diagnose this. If yes who should i ask to see?

The contractors still have to keep records and eventually they end up in your Cfile. You have to request the records from the contractor, though.

Talk to your PCP or just call VA and ask if you can get an appt with Neurology. If nothing else, file for it and in your C&P they will usually examine you anyway either EMG or pinprick (or both) as part of the C&P process.

Thanks Brokensoldier,

I'm going to secure message my doc today and ask to see someone to help diagnose these pains. I can do this within a year and still send the ro the evidence and keep my claim date right?