VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Start A Business And Get A Degree Using Vocrehab?

Rate this question

SMCCALL81

Question

Hi Everyone!! New to this site, and I already LOVE it. I have a question that hopefully someone can help with. I am 100% P&T. Recently met with a Voc Rehab counselor, and went to the initial meeting and took the assessment test. Met with her again today and we went over everything that I scored high in, to see what job would be a good fit for me. I was an RN before, and I scored pretty high in the medical/clerical areas. Because of my disabilities, I cannot perform duties of a Nurse, so she suggested going back to school and getting a masters in business or human resources, or health administration. That sounds pretty great to me. She also stated that with working part time, my benefits would not be interrupted. My social security benefits maybe, but not my VA 100%. My questions consist of; 1) Does the info about me not losing my benefits sound accurate? 2) I have been thinking of starting a small business in the meantime, will Voc Rehab help with that in conjunction with me going to school? I really appreciate any input to this matter. It's important for us to look out for one another in protecting everything we've earned!

Sandra

i have 60% disability for my back (lumbar spine and pelvis fusions), and I have 90% PTSD, etc. So, can I work? Like I said before I am being told by Voc Rehab that I can, just has to be part time. PR's post has me really nervous now. Thought I could trust them at least a little :( .....Don't get me wrong, the amount of pay for my 100% and SSDI are great, I'm just struggling mentally, being only 32, and feeling like there's nothing else in life for me to do. Once again, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

It may depend on what you are 100 percent P and T FOR.

Max Cleland, and Tammy (cant remember her last name) both had 100 percent and both had lost limbs. You can overcome lost limbs with the use of a wheelchair, artificial limbs, etc, and still get compensated and persue a career.

However, mental issues creates some problems. If you are 100 ptsd or 100 depression, for example, if you look at these ratings they do not indicate you can work and collect 100 percent..it says something about "all areas" including work.

Im not sure how right that is...after all whats wrong with overcoming a mental disability and working, because you can certainly do so with a loss of limbs. I think you may risk a reduction in benefits. If you look at the reduction regulations, they use the term "actually improved under ordinary conditions of life" (IE working, since "oridinary people, who are not disabled, work). So if you have 100 percent ptsd or depression, the va may be able to reduce you if you can work. Emphasize the word "may".

VocRehab you can do almost anything in that program. I'm currently in it. It's a life changer. The most difficult part is convincing the insane counselors, in some cases, as to why your actions/degree/maybe business plans are justified. Not sure about the business plan aspect. Read up on it. Don't try to be a gym instructor knowing damn good and well your back is messed up for example. You will get shut down.

Do due diligence. Have your ducks in a row. Don't go in there looking like a fool. When I went to my appointment (I'll never forget it because of a dumbass in our specific group) we were all gathered in a room. We did a survey. Afterwards, we all hung out in the room. Waited for a counselor to call us back. One guy who said he has "brain damage" stated specifically he wanted to know "about independent living." I'm not even a trained counselor but his tone and demeanor had red flags going off in my mind. He was one who milks the system in my opinion. Sure the counselors thought so too. His meeting was over in two minutes tops. Literally, it was the door shut to talk; then, the door opened. That quick. It was over for him.

I could tell he didn't have brain damage. Rather, he was just stupid. I saw him at the bus stop. He asked me for money to get back home. Reality checks are given at the appointments. You go in there looking like a fool, you WILL get shut down. Do your homework. Convince them as to WHY starting a business or going back to college is beneficial to you and your disability. Even if you are shut down, ask them if they know of another office which helps Veterans start a business. As I said, do due diligence. The answers are out there. You should know the answer prior to going to the appointment. There's a program that exists for just about every Veteran's need(s). It may or may not be Chapter 31. Again, YOU have to research. Don't think it's up to the VR&E to find you a job or to start your business. IT"S NOT. IT'S ULTIMATELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. They, VR&E, just provides some damn good resources to get your foot in the door.

Actually, I think a lot of people underestimate the VR&E Program. It's NOT an easy program. It is designed to make a man/woman out of you. One of these days, upon successful completion of my current program, I will type a thorough review. It runs deep. Just research what you're looking for. Start reading online literature FROM THE VA'S WEBSITE. NOT military.com or about.com. however, they are good for generating ideas. Use the VA's own paperwork as evidence against them if your counselor denies you. Be prepared to fight or have a VERY GOOD AND WELL THOUGHT OUT PLAN PRIOR TO ATTENDING YOUR APPOINTMENT. As a matter of fact, don't even make an appointment until you have a well thought out plan in place. YOU have to convince the counselor why you should be allowed into the program. It's not simply given to you. I can't stress it enough. Chapter 31 is NOT a walk in the park. It takes the right type of individual with the proper attitude. Yes, there are stupid counselors who seemingly HATE working with Veterans. I will write about that later. I'll give names and everything. It's not slander or illegal if it is factual. As for now, I do NOT want to be singled out, as I already was, in case they read these posts. Again, not trying to discourage anyone from applying to VR&E, but make sure YOU ARE RIGHT before you apply to the program. Needless to say, VR&E is certainly a life changer. It changed my life for the better. The programs the government implements are excellent programs. It's NOT the programs themselves that are the problem. It's the workers in the programs. That's where the difficulties come in. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS or at least a general understanding of what you're getting into.

Edited by yoshi

• HadIt.com Elder

My nurse at the VA has had terrific back and neck surgery. She can't even life ten pounds, but she has a job full time as VA nurse. I mean this woman is in bad shape. I never saw scars like that on anyone's back who was not in a wheelchair. If she can get and keep a job as a RN I bet you could work in an office maybe. If you are P&T I would be real careful about starting a business. P&T means you are permanently and totally disabled. How old are you? If you are over 50 then forget about it. Losing your SSDI and 100% from the VA would be pretty bad at any age over 40 because age discrimination exists. You now have a pension for life. I know being P&T is crummy, but the alternatives to having that rating in place are all around us on the streets of any big city.

I talked to an electrician today about a job he was going to do for me. He can't even afford health insurance. If you have medicare and spouse has ChampVa you are better off than 80% of other Americans. Now if I were 25 years old and had a life time of being p&t before me I probably would try to rehab myself, but I would not believe much the VA told me about the job market. If you got rehabbed into a job that requires a license and certificate (like a RN) I would go for that. You want something you can step into like CPA or RN where there is demand. I have two college degrees and I could not get hired as dog catcher because I did not have special technical skills with a BS behind it.

It's an up hill battle and you get ABSOLUTELY ZERO HELP FROM ANYONE. I've already helped you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy more than any governmental, organizational, or individual entity has helped me. On my own, I learned how to read and understand how words are coded in the Uniform Commercial Code, job announcements, VA's terminology, general legal terms, and the list goes on. I could probably run this country. No kidding either. Useful Websites are VA's legal documents found on their website and other sources; basically, regulations, state laws, hiring directives (later come employment time) and legal institute is another website. USE THE VA'S OWN LEGAL DOCUMENTS AGAINST THEM.

Just start reading boards like this or do a Google search to get the hamster wheel turning, but don't expect ANYONE to help you in the "real word." Everybody I asked either laughed at me or thought I wasn't serious. The doors were slammed in my face. Figure of speech. It pissed me off to the point of "I'll show them." And I have and currently am. You're going to get pissed because you'll have too many questions and NO ONE will know the answer to them. I've learned people, for the most part, are either stupid as all hell or like to play games at work. I think it's a combination of the two.

Where to start? With yourself. Get a yellow legal pad. Leave the house, cell phone, and all means of communication at home. Get in your car and go to a quite place. Mountains work great or a country hotel. Somewhere it's quite. Then ask yourself, What do you like to do? What are you passionate about? Then, go from there and research the Web and make sure the information you're seeking is lining up with what you want to be/do in life. If you do it right and understand legal terminology so you don't look and sound like a fool, it will take six months depending on how quickly you work. I'm a slow pace learner as I like to understand how things actually work. Some people can do it blind, but not me. I've done the blind thing in the past. You're just the blind leading the blind. Not my learning style. I NEED to understand how things work. If not, I am lost and it's not going to go well. It's all on you.

http://www.opm.gov/click the links bottom left, under federal employees. Get familiar with the hiring authorities or whatever lines up with your needs.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/ Excellent website for legal information pertaining to VA hiring standards, regulations, laws, etc. Google search it.

http://www.fedshirevets.gov/ Title says it all.

Do your own research. The picture will become clearer. And I can tell simply by the delay in your responses you're not serious about making a change. Anyway, I helped you more than enough. Good luck.

Edited by yoshi