VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Individual Unemployability (Tdiu) Or (Iu)

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Individual Unemployability (TDIU) or (IU) Fact Sheet

Individual Unemployability (IU) is a part of VA’s disability compensation program that allows VA to
pay certain Veterans compensation at the 100% rate, even though VA has not rated their serviceconnected
disabilities at the 100% level.
This fact sheet answers a lot of the common questions and worth a look.

• Founder

Tbird,

Not sure what is wrong? but every time I click on a link I get a DBQ?

I Just click on your link aboveabout TDIU pdf & got the DBQ?

I'm getting the right link.

• Founder
According to the fact sheet
Substantially gainful employment is defined as employment at which non-disabled individuals earn their livelihood with earnings comparable to the particular occupation in the community where the Veteran resides.
Marginal employment is generally deemed to exist when a Veteran's earned income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Census Bureau as the poverty level for the Veteran only. For more information on the U.S. Census Bureau's poverty thresholds, see http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/data/threshld/index.html

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I got it Tbird thanks!

Georgiapapa I pray that your hospital visit is a good one and everything turns out fine for ya buddy

you take care.

Thank you Buck.

• HadIt.com Elder

§4.16 Total disability ratings for compensation based on unemployability of the individual.

(a) Total disability ratings for compensation may be assigned, where the schedular rating is less than total, when the disabled person is, in the judgment of the rating agency, unable to secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service-connected disabilities: Provided That, if there is only one such disability, this disability shall be ratable at 60 percent or more, and that, if there are two or more disabilities, there shall be at least one disability ratable at 40 percent or more, and sufficient additional disability to bring the combined rating to 70 percent or more

• HadIt.com Elder

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501)

(b) It is the established policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs that all veterans who are unable to secure and follow a substantially gainful occupation by reason of service-connected disabilities shall be rated totally disabled. Therefore, rating boards should submit to the Director, Compensation Service, for extra-schedular consideration all cases of veterans who are unemployable by reason of service-connected disabilities, but who fail to meet the percentage standards set forth in paragraph (a) of this section. The rating board will include a full statement as to the veteran's service-connected disabilities, employment history, educational and vocational attainment and all other factors having a bearing on the issue.

[40 FR 42535, Sept. 15, 1975, as amended at 54 FR 4281, Jan. 30, 1989; 55 FR 31580, Aug. 3, 1990; 58 FR 39664, July 26, 1993; 61 FR 52700, Oct. 8, 1996; 79 FR 2100, Jan. 13, 2014]