Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

50% Ptsd, How To Get And Increase ?

Rate this question

Wjason777

Question

In 2011 I’ve been diagnosed with PTSD, and was granted 50%. I’m currently being seen at the local VA and is currently taking meds. In the last 8 months I’ve been really having trouble, my condition has gotten worst and it seems like my meds haven’t been working. I have and appointment this month with my psychologist. What do I need to do and what do i need in order to get and increase for my condition? How can I get my condition to get listed as permanently? I see on Ebenefits that I’m schedule for an Review on Nov 2016 and that my condition is not listed as permanently.

Edited by Wjason777

Hello

Since I first posted, My meds been increased twice. I'm also showing Occupational and Social Impairment with family, work etc.I have the notes to prove it

if I submit that PTSD DBQ along with my current notes , and a written statement from my wife would that be enough for and increase?

It may or may not bud. The Occupational and Social Impairment statement usually has to say Impairment in most areas, and symptoms to increase from 50-70%. Remember that once you have been Granted SC, you can always submit an FDC claim for an increase, but also remember that you can be reviewed and reduced as well. That has actually happened to a few Vets on Hadit. Only you can decide what is best for you and your family. Good luck and keep us posted

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you know what an IME/IMO means? You need to get one. You don't want to rely just on the VA to get an increase for your established PTSD claim. I was just 30% when I got a couple of IME's for an increase. It cost me maybe $300 bucks. I got TDIU P&T due to the IME I got from a psychiatrist that used to work for the VA in Tampa. These doctors exist in every larger city.

They often work with SSDI lawyers who refer their clients to them to help win their claims. It is much harder these days to get private psychiatrists to treat you via medicare or insurance.

The insurance industry has been allowed to not pay for out-patient mental health care. Despite new laws to bring equity between physical and mental/emotional treatment it is not happening. My private shrinks no longer take Blue Cross due to changes BC/BS made to create such a burden on the doctors that they will simply not accept the insurance. Medicare only pays for 50% of allowable charge for mental health treatment. Why are they allowed to get away with this? Fortunately, I have other ways of getting this treatment paid for even though I see a VA shrink. If I need a medical opinion I can get one from doctors who have treated me for years. Depending just on the VA for anything is a big mistake IMO.

A one or two time visit to an IME doctor should not cost that much considering what you stand to get if you win your claim.

IME is an "Independent Medical Examination." IMO is an "independent Medical Opinion." Your private doctor would perform an IME and use the results of an IME to render a written opinion of your claimed medical condition(s) in an IMO.

GP