Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lumbar Strain With Ddd

Rate this question

diver

Question

Hello all.. first of all I want to thank all of you for all the help you have given me through this process with the VA. I again have some questions for the expert here. I am rated 40% for at lumbar strain. I have an x-ray before and an MRI that was done after my C&P that show that I have DDD of L5 S1 and the MRI shows a 4mm bulge. The C&P examiner stated “1b) at this time, there is no diagnosis attributable to the bilateral hip pain” & “2b) lumbar muscle strains/sprains cause symptoms isolated to the low back. They do not cause problems in the legs like some other spine conditions. The most common symptoms of lumbar strain/sprain are: pain around the low back and upper buttocks, low back muscle spasm, pain associated with activities and generally relieved with rest. Lumbar sprain/strain involves the ligaments or muscles and not the nerves. Hence, there should not be any neuropathy symptoms.”

The examiner did not have the results of the MRI to look at.

My question is.

The VA denied my claim for sciatica because there is no current diagnosed disability. I have a diagnosis of Lumbosacral spondylosis without

myelopathy (SCT 48210000) would this be different then the lumbar strain and there for be the cause of the chronic hip pain. If so what should I do about it if anything?

The dr marked the claim is less likely than not.

Next question the examiner did an exam for peripheral nerve condition. For diagnosis he marked no and “there is no objective evidence to support a diagnosis of the claimed condition at this time. Now for the question foot dangles and drops, no active movement of muscles below the knee, flexion of knee weakened or lost. The doctor selected right: incomplete paralysis and if incomplete he marked mild. For the left foot he marked incomplete and moderate.

Looking at the rating that exact selection (if I read it correctly) is 10% and 20%. What should I do?

And for my chronic hip pain. It was denied because there is no diagnosis of hip pain. The doctor said there is no objective evidence to support a diagnosis of the claimed condition at this time. But later on in the exam sheet he marked pain to palpation in both hips. Hip flexion: 15

Right hip adduction (normal is 25 degrees) 15. abduction (normal 45) 15

Left hip post test ROM =20

Post test extension is at 0

External rotation ends (normal 60) 15

Internal rotation (normal 40) 15

Left hip adduction (normal 25) 15

Left hip abduction (normal 45) 15

Hip flexion (normal 125) 15 right hip

Yada yada lots more but I don’t want to bore you any more. If there is more you need please ask for it and I will get it for you.

For all of this there seems to me to be plenty of evidence for a positive outcome. So what do I need to do to get it?

Thank you

Diver

I will keep fighting. I must. And thank you but is my Fed and lumbar strain the same? The doctor seemed to rule out the sciatica because the lumbar strain can not cause the hip pain and the sciatica. And for the hips the tests showed a lot of deficiencies but he said there was no diagnosis to go by. That's why I am wondering about the blue button and the problem lists having sciatica listed along with chronic hip pain. I don't know what steps to really take on this situation. For my hips I did have a second review of the claim and they did state there is no diagnos of hip problems so I am working on that now with an appointment on the 4th

Diver in my case, after my injury, I was doing train up for Iraq. Constantly wearing the IBAS I would position myself in a manner to make the pain bare able. I'm surprised that my liver and kidney's weren't shot with how many OTC anti-imflammortories that I was taking at the time. I just grinned and bared it and I can tell you that was a big mistake on my part. I should have gotten more treatment from the get go. But when your young and prideful, well this is where I am now. I disagree with the VA doc but I am not a dr. When I got ejected from the HMMV, I landed on my back and left hip and rolled a few times. I crushed a few vertebrae and wound up with a cervical and lumbar strain. It wasn't until I got back after Iraq and saw X-rays of my spine did I see what damage was done. I was in pain daily with the body armor. Again I just sucked it up. Chiropractor, steroid shots, OTC meds and the like. Till one day in 2012 my back went out and it's been really downhill from there. Traumatic injury to bones take a while to take there toll. The streroid shots barely offer any relief, chiropractor, facet blocks, epidurals, bi lateral medial branch blocks, physical therapy, TENS units, lidocane, even rhyzotomies don't help much. Even the narcotic meds don't do much but make me loopy. It is a bear to live with most days. My private docs have been helping me with the medical evidence, as well as advice from this forum and the help of my attorney.

Anyways didn't mean to give you me sob story. My point is with the injury, Osteoarthitis or traumatic arthritis can take years to show up and it causes a great deal of complications from sciatica, pain, numbness, muscle spasms, and the like. Myself I have bi lateral radiculopathy in both legs. Pain and numbness that shoots down the legs. Mostly for me it is my left side but I do have that happen in both legs. From about my T5- down to S1, I have problems with the disks and vertebrae. Spine injuries are no joke and unless someone has one they don't really understand and fully comprehend the ramifications of such an injury. It can be tied together, your gait and walk will be affected by the injury and will cause a lot of secondary issues. I know my situation and I have done many of hours of research. However, this is king here, you are going to need a doctor to connect the dots for you with the injury and that the injury is causing all of these secondaries. Evidence and continuity of treatment is ever important. The better you have your evidence, medical and the like organized, the smoother and easier it will be to fight the VA. I will warn you that the process is long. Years. But it is not a good fight if it is not a long one.

Well I'm going to go take a happy pill. I hope this is of some help. Good luck and keep fighting. Fight till your last breath.

Edited by ArNG11

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r:

I attempted the combat medic for a few years in the Guard. I have an idea of what you mean Diver. Just the brief time that I played with that MOS. I understand. Just don't stop pushing. Weapons of choice are regulations, laws, and evidence. You will prevail. Don't give up because that is what they, the VA want you to do. Be tenacious.

Mr. A

I loved being a combat medic. However I was only in Texas never deployed. As for my claim thank you for your pointers. I welcome any and all suggestion from everyone that may have them.

Eh I enjoyed it but I preferred fixing HMMV's, AGE, and aircraft. I wish the spine was as easy to fix. A few screws, ball and sockets and several disks several conduits and I'd be on my way.

Mr. A