VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Press Release On Opioid Therapy

Rate this topic

VA Accelerates Deployment of Nationwide Opioid Therapy Tool

March 9, 2015, 12:20:00 PM

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2681

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VA Accelerates Deployment of Nationwide Opioid Therapy Tool

March 9, 2015, 12:20:00 PM

http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2681

Berta,

Thanks for posting this.

I see that it's going to tighten the belt even more on RX's like hydrocodone.

Just what we don't need, in alot of cases.

Somehow I just don't remember reading stories of vets overdosing on their pain meds.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I do know that my psychiatrist cut my clonazepam in half and told me research showed

the clonazepam can add to respiratory problems which I do have . . .

I told her I thought if I'd quit smoking tobacco products, that would even help my respiratory problems

a whole heck of a lot - but that if I did quit smoking tobacco products -

she might need to triple my clonazepam. :tongue:

sounds like another big waste of money that will accomplish nothing, dont they think the doctors are capable enough to track the veterans health? sounds like another distance tactic to me, someone or some program to blame, to circumvent accountability.

• HadIt.com Elder

Clonazepam is one of the safest drugs there is for anxiety. I got the same song and dance from the VA about using opioids and clonazepam at the same time. I never went beyond the dosages and I had no problem. The VA has caused me many problems because they would not prescribe drugs to help me stay awake because of OSA. If I fall asleep and crash and die on the way to the VA is that a better outcome than taking Adderall? For the VA it probably is a better outcome with one more vet in the ground.

John

Gosh John I thought I was all doom and gloom. Not too far off the mark though. I imagine in the next few years more of the same will happen. I happened to have been treated with clonazepam and effexor mix. The one that did some weird things to me was Pristiq. Got a little suicidal there for a while. I actually have had good luck with a mental health provider at the VA recently. He has me on liquid fluoxetine and pill form alprazolam.

The only thing that they will give me for pain is really just a muscle relaxer. Methocarbamol to be exact. I switch that around with Demerol, Hydrocodone depending how bad of day it is. However, those narcotics are provided by private insurance. If the stuff wouldn't make me so dam drowsy it would not be so bad.

They are trying different types of pain therapy. Healing touch and acupuncture have been the most recent here at the OKC VA. The one thing they won't do is chiropractic care.

Edited by ArNG11