Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Process Got Me Down

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

This whole disability process has got me down. I got some of my CP Results and they are lackluster at best? Just when I thought that the exams were done and I have been making progress...it looks gloomy at best?

I literally lived in a Tank, my first two years in the Army. My wife who was newly married to me then wanted to leave because we were not together much while I was in the field. I loved the Army and I wanted to be a Tank Commander since I was in the 6th grade. Early in my career, I was severally injured twice, once in a anti-tank ditch accident and then a year later in a tank main gun explosion. So, now as I filed my claim the doc says" how do we know that you were injured in the Army?" Well, how many civilian professions use Army Tanks to do their work...none that I know of? I actually was given a Class AI flight physical and passed it when I first came in because the Army needed helicopter pilots but I still got Tanks like I wanted. But with all of the injuries and sacrifices and with good SMRs, it's almost like I'm begging to get covered for the conditions that only could have occurred in the Army? I know other vets have been through this drill before and the lack of respect really stings...I know, it's not over yet and I'm a fighter and that we vets are a sturdy group...one thing is for sure..this site has taught me a lot....and I appreciate the advice about educating ones self about the process which is important if one wants to keep their sanity until the final letter comes...then one may still have to do a Nod or even worse an appeal. I guess I thought having my stuff together by learning everything about the FDC would make the difference..... but not always...?

Edited by rootbeer22

Sorry to hear of your troubles bud. When I was Medically retired from the Navy in Feb 2013, I was 30% from Navy, and 80% VA. My VSO in county said that I would not get 100% VA or SSDI, even though I had 15 surgeries while active and multiple health issues. Thanks to this site I was increased to 100% VA in Feb 14, and awarded SSDI in less than 10 weeks, which is permanent. The VA denied both knees, shoulder, back, asthma and a slew of secondary conditions with my first claim. Since I have completed 3 FDCs, and guess what, instead of NODs and APPEALS, I just kept reopening the denied conditions, and the VA has not only awarded all of them, but at high %s. VA thought I was stirring the pot or ungrateful with a filed my current FDC in NOV 14, and sent me for a bunch of C&Ps, and then decided to review all of my high %s including a 2hr PTSD Review, which was brutal. Guess what, not only is the VA continuing my SC, but it looks like a few of the Reviewed Conditions are actually going to be granted an Increase. Sorry for the long post and rambling, what I am trying to say, is that I kept going to over 30 C&Ps for the same conditions, and I just made the C&P Docs look at the same Medical Evidence, and I would not leave until they reviewed every note or MRI or Xray. Most Docs would not listen, and here and there I would get a really good Doc that was nice, but even then they would not review everything or they would get overwhelmed due to all my health problems. I promise that you will win in the end, and we are always here for you. Good luck and God Bless!!!!!

Folks:

Thanks again to everyone....I'm a fighter and will continue to do so until this is done. In a few cases, the SMRs were there with all of the correct information...but they were never consider at all it seems? He even mentioned the extensive SMRs over a 20 year period for my back issues-over and over again on the report...but never looked at the extensive CT Scan and MRI Images that were right on top of the file and pointed the results out...The RO just sent my buddy statements to the examiners but not the SMRs. So, I provided the SMRs to the examiner during the examination but it looks like they were never considered? However, I get the same answer time and time again, "don't worry, the rater looks at your whole file..and they'll figure it out for you? I was floored that I have an SMR that says may hand was hurt on a specific day, time and place in service but there's only a 50/50 chance that it was hurt in service?

Edited by rootbeer22

I agree with you fellows. The process for a claim is made to tire you out and see if you will go the distance, rather that it gets so tiring and complicated that you just give up or make a deal. Department of labor is the same way. I seriously believe that these Agencies are out to get me. Reality is they are just trying to save a buck to get that new Bentley or pay some interest group or constituents. The process has me and has gotten me to the breaking point several times. But I realized something today. With my case specifically, both on VA and Federal Workers comp. Stick to your guns. Don't give up. Once you file stay the course and don't let anyone, not family, not attorneys, not even Chief of Staffs or Secretaries of the organization intimidate you to concede. quid pro quo. It's your life, the rest of your life. Don't let your sacrifices and those before you be shamed because these perpetrators want to make or keep a buck. The hell with them. The stakes are really that high, IMO and cases they are for me. " fight til your last breath"

You are nearing the end of the beginning. Compensation claims are a lifetime ordeal. I filed my first claim in 1986 and will probably die before all is said and done. A few Vets get under the wire just to show the public that the VA claims process is viable when in fact it's a broken arrow. It's like a marathon race. The VA c&p exam process is a farce. Most Vets who have filed a claim understand it and how, why it happens that way. Frustrated and angry Vets tend not to prevail in the long run which is why the VAROs throw out so many errors. The system is designed this way with the approval from Congress who would just as soon sequester compensation. They want to reduce Vet benefits to zero so that their buddies can get earmarks. The best way to handle it (as you will soon find out) is to just shovel out the required paperwork and then walk away and let it take it's course. Easier said then done...I've been there