Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adverse Event Disclosure

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

Good evening members. I am going to share with you an event that I've had scheduled last week at the VA in Tucson.

One year ago , last March 17th I was scheduled to have a brain tumor removed in the VA. Soon as they administered the Anthesia drugs, I basically died. Lost of oxygen , blood pressure , ect. They brought me back and aborted the surgery . I awoke in ICU, which they booted me out and sent me home an hour later instead of keeping me for observation overnight
Members, there is a thing called adverse event disclosure . Look it up and read it. I asked to have that done, and the VA refused and threatened me saying I already received one in the ICU, This calls for a formal one, meeting with the head of the surgery dept, ect. I wrote letters to two congressman and the OIG. They lied and covered up and refused to have a formal one. Well, I contacted the undersecretary of the VA in DC, in charge of all hospitals. I had that meeting with the Chief of Staff and head of the anthesia dept, Certain medications interacted with the Anthesia, drugs which were supposed to be stopped prior to surgery. They covered that up and stated they told me even though there is no record. I had the only record which a doctor used yellow post stickers with 2 other medications listed , not the ones that the Anthesia doctor told me in ICU, that should have been stopped. Aldo she had multiple patients she was getting ready for surgery not one per patient like there should have been. So yes, they are deeply upset I went over there head. It puts a black eye on them as this us an official record own letting everyone know what happened. Once again , they really missed with the wrong person. I contacted the General, Allison Hickley another VA under secretary who helped get me my 100% p & t TDIU effective last October within 2 days once I contacted her.
If a situation similar to mine occurs , don't hesitate to do this as well. I was able to get the chief to admit the truth and asked what are they doing different to prevent other veterans from going through this . And finally ,I requested them to outsource any surgeries I may need in the future to other hospitals .as I surely wouldn't trust them ever again! They stone walled and said it would be up to there business office on this matter, which is another lie. I will contacted the Under Secretary next week to state this issue to them and see if I can get this approved and placed in my record!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Cool I narrowly missed an adverse incident last Friday with the VA I had an EKG prior to having some GI scopes I never heard a word about it but on the day of the scopes I brought it up and asked it anyone looked at it. Well they looked at it and my heart rate was not like by the DOC so all scope were cancelled. I was sent over to my PCP and low and behold once I see the Doc first words out of his mouth is you are here to get you Plavix refilled right. No Doc I don't take Plavix he you sure then he corrected himself and said sorry I am on the wrong record you are not 58 either. Anyway all this earned yet another nuclear stress test, echo cardiogram and halter monitor.

I have a great fear of the VA putting me under and killing me to get another 90%er off the books they are not helping this fear.

I have had my foot up there ass for years and they hate it. Lately when I ask for something I get it. I AM working on another foot up even deeper. Going to send a message to the Va under secretary requesting my record to be flagged in case I need another surgery or procedure requiring anthesia- -to have this done elsewhere due to the prior incident and me and my family have no trust 8 them in not trying to kill me again.