VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Filing For Symptoms From Lead Toxicity.

Rate this question

10thFO

Question

So here is the situation. I'm helping a Marine, who was shot in the ankle in November of 1979. He was boarded out, and currently gets 40 % . He receives SSDI as well, and he recently filed for PTSD only to be denied in December of this year. Here's where it gets interesting, he's trying to pay his child support, so he looked into doing the Ticket to work program through the SS. They told him he was ineligible because of the findings that gave him his SSDI, standing restrictions and different things. But come to find out when he was seen by a private dr. That helped to get the ssdi, it was found that he still has lead shrapnel in his ankle. They got the majority of the bullet out, but there is still fragments in his bones of the ankle. His lead level at his last bloodwork last fall was at a level of 13 MCG/DL. Only 1% of Americans have a level over 10%, his last BP was 195 over 95 which of course led to a change in his medicine, but there are many other conditions that lead poisoning can lead to. So now we are at the level of, should we concentrate on the opinion of the VA doctor, that his drinking is not due to PTSD, but in the words of the examiner that began before he suffered the gunshot wound. Explained that it is at least as likely as not thaqt even if you did not suffer the wound you would likely be dealing with chronic substance abuse issues and a secondary depression. You alcohol abuse began while in the military, service Conn. Cannot be granted for a primary dis. Of alcohol as this is considered willful misconduct.

Or should we just pursue the lead toxicity issue, and it s connection to his hypertension, neuropathy in his lower left leg, and also his arm, plus any other things we can connect such as his migraines and a few other medical issues.

He does have children of the age of 14 and 16, so connection for the hypertension, would prove vital if we can get him to at least the unemployable due to his injuries that the SS already considers him for.

Thanks in advance. I'm doing some volunteer work now helping Vets work on their claims, and helping guys secure housing, after separating from the military. I tried searching for lead toxicity on the site but couldn't locate anything.

They are hassling me over my contact soaked in leaded gasoline (daily, part of my job), and documents from USAF doctors showing I was in contact daily..on active duty... so this is of interest to me..