Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Amc Rating Ivds

Rate this question

add55p

Question

All,

The appeals management center is rating my IVDS claim.

After doing some research, it appears that 10% and 20% ratings are the only ratings that range of motion is used when rating IVDS. IVDS ratings of 30%, 40% and 60% does requirements do not mention range of motion in the rating criteria, only incapacitating episodes and unfavorable ankylosis.

Why is it that I am always hearing that IVDS Thoracolumbar is rated using ROM?

I only see incapacitating episodes requirement for higher ratings.

It is just unfortunate if you took it upon yourself to rest your back during an incapacitating episode after taking medication at home.

Please steer me to where range of motion is specifically listed for rating in excess of 20%.

Thank you.

Add

This website is a decent guide for ratings. I would not take anything as gospel, as the VA in the end decides the percentage. I hope it can help, if only a little.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/thespine.html#joints

V/r

Detel

Edited by Detel

• HadIt.com Elder

IVDS is based on the number if incapacitating episodes. Anklyosis should not be a part of IVDS. That is Arthritis. Different rating criteria.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Jbasser

When the DBQ examination was conducted, it was only 4 weeks of incapacitating epdisodes.however, because of the time that it took for the appeal to be decided by the board, I have had at least 3 additional weeks.Should I send a message to the AOJ that is rating the current IVDS appeal. Or will they assume that i had additional episodes and give me credit for the full 6 weeks of incapacitating episodes. Or should I wait for the rating and request for an increase based on the additional episodes that should have been calculated in the rating.

Also, Is ankylosing spondylosis, which is a different diagnosis on the dbq than ankylosis, rated as part of IVDS?

Thank you for the reply..

Add

• HadIt.com Elder

That is a form of arthritis that fuses the joints together. It is likely the cause of your Disk Problems.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Welcome to the club my friend. Try being rated for both but not get rated any higher because a doctor won't prescribe the bed rest needed for a higher rating on IVDS. In today's world they, doctors don't recommend bed rest.its actually worse for you. Modern medicine, surgical options are not the best course for treating back pain if it can be helped. The best thing to do for back injuries is to keep your ROM up and strengthen your core. Loose weight, get on the MOVE program and take plenty of muscle relaxers and nerve medications. No kidding this is what you will hear from the VA. That's what I get when I try to discuss treatment for the back injury with the VA. In OK the VA won't entertain the idea of talking about surgery unless you go through there "program"

Anyways by regs there are supposed to rate your injury according to the codes and rating criteria that best describes and is the closest match to your condition. Also by regs and law it is supposed to be rated to the highest rating that can be afforded to the veterans condition and effect of employability. They rarely do what they are supposed to do, consequently that is why there are so many appeals.

Edited by ArNG11

Mr. A

:ph34r: " FIGHT TILL YOUR LAST BREATH " :ph34r: