Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question Before Filing For Ptsd

Rate this question

CHerv08

Question

Hey everyone,

I am new to Hadit.com and I first wanted to say that this is by far the most informative information I have read to date regarding this entire process. I was just awarded 20% Service Connected Disability. 10% for tinnitus and 10% for TBI.

So about me - I served as an MP in Iraq from 2006-2007. Durning my time there I was invovled in an ambush against my squad were a couple Soldiers were injured. I was first to react to the situation under fire, and was able to render aid and provide cover fire. I was awarded with a BSM-V for my actions as well as 2 others from my squad. I was also exposed to mulitple fire fights and numerous IED exposures.

I have never been "formally treated" for PTSD. After the event, I was seen by the chaplain regarding the situation and that was about it. At the time I really didnt want to talk about it or relive the sitaution.

I deloyed again in 2010 to Afganistan and working in the detainee center. Nothing like the first deployment, but still standing face to face with detainees.

Unlike some of my battle buddies I deployed with - I have been able to keep a steady job, and go to school full time, while some of them struggle since our Iraq delopyment.

My wife and family says that since my deloyment - I have changed. I have "quirks" as they like to call them such as not being able to sit with my back to anyone, always have to maintain a visual of a door, i have a hard time around fireworks and begin to get anxious. I also get very iratable when driving. All of these have heavily increased since my deployment.

Becaue I have never been treated formally for PTSD - and nothing have been formally documented regarding treatment is it possible to file for PTSD? What type of information would be benefical as far as documentation?

Will the VA try to link my TBI and PTSD together?

Any input would be greatly appercaited.

• HadIt.com Elder

I WOULD Request the C-file ASAP. (takes a while)

if you file tomorrow will they reopen your 2008 claim? probably not! request that they do.

usually if they approve your claim for PTSD they will go from your new date that you filed for it but Appeal that decision if they do.

You may have to Appeal the EED, but maybe not its more likely than not you will.

I know some will disagree with me, but in my opinion its better to get the Ball rolling so to speak.

you can have more than one claim, you can file as many claims as you wish & in my opinion its better to file them now. (attach medical reports with your claims)

Remember you can Always Appeal a decision you don't agree with just watch the dates NOD is One year,after that your claims go to the BVA in which you have alimited time to file 21 days to 60 days depending on the decision.

its hard to say about the decision? but at least you can get the fire started.

it is very important you get'' ALL'' your medical records from the past!

Medical records is your best evidence!

jmo

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Thank you Buck!

Really appercaite the advice and it is noted. I will begin working on this ASAP and keep you guys informed as the process goes!

Chris

Chris, I bet the 10% for the TBI is too low....have you compared your residuals with the rating schedule.

The 2010 PTSD criteria ( available here) means that the PTSD diagnosis MUST come from a VA MH provider.

I wiould be surprised if the VA doesn't diagnose you with PTSD...

But as others said, that C file is invaluable!

If you claimed any condition in the past, that was denied, but that eventually becomes SC, there is possibility of CUE .

Also 38 CFR 3.156 could help.....

SMRs, 201 personnel files ( Mil) ,C files, and VA med recs, are all often needed to succeed in claims and the claimant needs their own copies of them.

Thank you Berta -

No I have not compared the residuals yet. I was just looking through the CFR on how they make the determination. My goal is to better understand how the entire process works before I start taking different action - usually it helps me write a counter argument if I understand what is suppose to happen vs. what someone thinks should happen.

Thank you again for all your help. This information is extremely helpful.

I love that I know have a resource I can go to gain information from first hand experience!

Chris