Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd & Federal Employment

Rate this question

FedHopeful

Question

Hello All,

I'm a service connected Marine (70% for PTSD & Tinnitus) and applied to a federal position back in Nov of 2013. I was hired under a special hiring authority for Veterans who are 30% or more Service Connected. I'm still in the process with this agency (DHS) and whenever I call to check on my status they continue to tell me that I am still pending a medical clearance. Its been over 18 months and I have seen those without disabilities get aboard the agency quicker than I have. I haven't been disqualified but I haven't moved on in the process either, is this discrimination? Also am I correct to assume that I cannot be disqualified for PTSD under ADA Title 1?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply USMC_Vet,

I have already cleared my background investigation. It was for a TS. Like you I did not have to divulge for mental health counseling due to it being military related. What I cannot clear is the medical portion. I have been awaiting medical clearance for over a year now.

For a TS then thats different. Your time frame is a bit longer than i would have expected but i have known guys for Secret getting held up for a year over having a Fillipino wife etc. I dont know what to say if its for medical, i have a feeling it is due to your SC for PTSD etc. for TS they are very very very detailed in their investigation. If i had to guess your file has been tossed around to different folks to try and figure out if this will or will not stop you from holding a clearance and if denied what it could mean litigation wise. I would save all correspondence and if denied i would intiate a FOIA request for your SF 86 investigation to see if you were discriminated against.

Its a catch 22, they "want" you to seek help and not hide it. but they also dont want to give you a job if you do seek help. I would have to know (i dont want to know thats personal) what manifestation your ptsd takes, if there has been reports of violence, or abstract behavior that could be the issue. They want to make sure you wont sell information to other countries or use your clearance to access areas you shouldnt because you have an episode. personally i get why they are timid about people like us, however i think it should all depend on how it manifests itself.

Have you formally applied for a federal position and then been found "qualified" by the OPM?

Thanks for all the info Berta! Yes I have formally applied and interviewed for the position I applied for. I have been found qualified by OPM as I received a conditional job offer, contingent on me passing all portions of the hiring process (i.e drug screen, medical, background). I have thus far cleared everything but the medical portion of the process.

For a TS then thats different. Your time frame is a bit longer than i would have expected but i have known guys for Secret getting held up for a year over having a Fillipino wife etc. I dont know what to say if its for medical, i have a feeling it is due to your SC for PTSD etc. for TS they are very very very detailed in their investigation. If i had to guess your file has been tossed around to different folks to try and figure out if this will or will not stop you from holding a clearance and if denied what it could mean litigation wise. I would save all correspondence and if denied i would intiate a FOIA request for your SF 86 investigation to see if you were discriminated against.

Its a catch 22, they "want" you to seek help and not hide it. but they also dont want to give you a job if you do seek help. I would have to know (i dont want to know thats personal) what manifestation your ptsd takes, if there has been reports of violence, or abstract behavior that could be the issue. They want to make sure you wont sell information to other countries or use your clearance to access areas you shouldnt because you have an episode. personally i get why they are timid about people like us, however i think it should all depend on how it manifests itself.

USMC_Vet, I don't have a criminal record or any background issues that keep me from holding a position of authority. I have personally cleared 3 background investigations in the past year. Like I stated in my earlier posts, not sure why they ask me to divulge VA disabilities and then keep me on the wire for almost 2 years. I have turned down numerous positions and put my education on the hold for this job because they are known for giving a few weeks notice to report to training. At this point I just want an answer. Sorry for the rant! Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for all the info Berta! Yes I have formally applied and interviewed for the position I applied for. I have been found qualified by OPM as I received a conditional job offer, contingent on me passing all portions of the hiring process (i.e drug screen, medical, background). I have thus far cleared everything but the medical portion of the process.

USMC_Vet, I don't have a criminal record or any background issues that keep me from holding a position of authority. I have personally cleared 3 background investigations in the past year. Like I stated in my earlier posts, not sure why they ask me to divulge VA disabilities and then keep me on the wire for almost 2 years. I have turned down numerous positions and put my education on the hold for this job because they are known for giving a few weeks notice to report to training. At this point I just want an answer. Sorry for the rant! Thanks for the reply!

Sucks you are dealing with this, i didnt meant to make it sound like i assumed you may have a record, etc. Just that those things even a misdemeanor can hold up, but as you said its the medical side that is currently holding you up, and since nothing is wrong except the SC that has to be the issue. As was stated by geogiopapa mental health cases are taken on a case by case basis, even though we both checked "NO" doesnt mean they wont check VA records since they are in the system and being a vet i can guarantee for a TS that is standard to check all records and since part of the SF86 process is to basically sign away any privacy rights you have, those are open for business. Im sure this will be cleared up. The fact that it is taking so long is in my opinion in your favor, if it was a cut and dry "yeah we cant take someone with XX issue" then you would have heard back by now, this just means you are being given more benefits of the doubt to keep the process going. Waiting sucks, but working for the Feds, everything is waiting. Just like in the Corps its all hurry up and wait.