VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibroids (On Active Duty) And Hysterectomy (Post-Service)

Rate this question

Mustang86

Question

Hello, both pregnancies occurred on active duty and during both I had fibroid tumors. The tumors reduced in size and didn't pose a problem immediately post delivery but created problems later that was not correlated at the time with fibroids. Post separation, i submitted a claim for the fibroid tumors and it was denied in April 2014 because of lack of documentation. I did not submit an appeal due to a busy life with new job and family. Approximately nine months ago, Sept 2014, I started having symptoms of what I thought were early menopause (unpredictable and long menstrual periods, and with lots of pain). I didn't do anything about it for months, thinking it would settle down during the menopause process. Finally, I had enough, went to a GYN who did an ultrasound and explained that the fibroids were back. As a result of the discomfort and constant blood loss, I decided to have a hysterectomy. I am working on submitting both the fibroids and hysterectomy for VA disability and wanted to tap your expertise on what you think may happen. Thanks All!

Hello, both pregnancies occurred on active duty and during both I had fibroid tumors. The tumors reduced in size and didn't pose a problem immediately post delivery but created problems later that was not correlated at the time with fibroids. Post separation, i submitted a claim for the fibroid tumors and it was denied in April 2014 because of lack of documentation. I did not submit an appeal due to a busy life with new job and family. Approximately nine months ago, Sept 2014, I started having symptoms of what I thought were early menopause (unpredictable and long menstrual periods, and with lots of pain). I didn't do anything about it for months, thinking it would settle down during the menopause process. Finally, I had enough, went to a GYN who did an ultrasound and explained that the fibroids were back. As a result of the discomfort and constant blood loss, I decided to have a hysterectomy. I am working on submitting both the fibroids and hysterectomy for VA disability and wanted to tap your expertise on what you think may happen. Thanks All!

Hi, new to this site! Would you please let me know your outcome? I'm in the process of filing pretty much the same as yours. Definitely, can appreciate any input, whether good or bad! Thank you in advance!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit!

I recommend going through your service treatment records. Identify each instance where you sought medical treatment related to this condition. If your records were on paper, check the front and back of each page. Some folks just submit all records under the hopes that the VA will look at every entry and find it. If you spoon feed the VA the historical information they need, it helps to provide a history. By you connecting the dots, it makes work easier on them.

For direct service connection, you'll need to have an event/diagnosis in service, currently have the condition, and have a doc connect the two together.

I'm not familiar with gynocological conditions, but if you had a hysterectomy and get it service connected, you can what's called SMC-K, which is about $100 extra per month due to 'loss of creative organ'. It does not count towards your combined rating (a.k.a. VA funky math), but it helps. This would be on top of any other ratings you might have.

Good luck!

Hi, new to this site! Would you please let me know your outcome? I'm in the process of filing pretty much the same as yours. Definitely, can appreciate any input, whether good or bad! Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Hadit!

Please see my comments to Mustang86.

Good luck!

WOW!!! That was quick! Anyway, thank you for welcoming me, as well as, the feedback. I really appreciate the information from you Vync and will take my time and go through my STR with a fine-tooth comb. I'm quite sure there's information that I can use, simply because I can recall going for treatment, while in the service for a fibroid condition. During my tenure in 1985, I loss a child due to the condition and was told prior to that at Beaumont Army Medical Hospital that the doctor was going to do a D&C to correct that, but it never happened, so basically, after the loss of my child, I continue to suffer with the fibroids until March 1999. This is when the gynecologist that I was seeing at the time, realized that I needed the hysterectomy. Thank you once again!

• Founder

Vync gave you some great advice. Also list the medications they gave you for any of the symptoms. I also did a search of BVA decisions with the terms hysterectomy and "fibroid tumors" and here are those results, reading through them may provide some insight.

BVA Decision Search for terms hysterectomy and fibroid tumors

Glad to help!

Another tip: Because most of your medical records are probably handwritten, there is a chance that you might not be able to decipher the sloppy handwriting. I had this problem for some of my records and took a few pages with me to a doc visit and had them tell me what the words were. They will also use a lot of strange symbols. You can look those up on the web.