Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid And Attendance For My Non-Sc Spouse

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

Ok, I knew this was probably going to get screwed up.

I submitted a claim on 5/22 for A&A for my disabled spouse whom I take care of.

I submitted the appropriate VA form, her SSDI paperwork and letters from two of her doctors.

It moved to "Gathering of Evidence" today and they are requesting "1" thing from me;

"In support of your claim for special monthly compensation, we need medical evidence showing at least one of the following due to service connected conditions: you need the aid and attendance of another person in performing your activities of daily living; are severely visually impaired; are permanently housebound; or have loss (or loss of use) of certain body parts."

It would seem by this request, they are assuming I am asking for A&A for myself, the veteran.

I'm hoping this is just a generic response for A&A.

I'll see what comes in the mail. I have a due date of 7/23, so I have a little time.

They got all of the info on my wife, but maybe this was directed at her??

Oh, well,

Hamslice

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As 3.351 (a) (1) and 3.351 (a) (2) above, points out, spouses are eligible for A and A with either Pension or Compensation. This means a NSC Vet, on pension, can get increased pension for A and A for his spouse.

For increased pension due to A and A, I think the amount is much more than 104 per month as follows:

1. If its pension A and A, then I think the maximum income goes to about 25,000 per year, from about 16,000 per year pension without A and A. This would mean very low income Vets would see about 9000 per year income increase for A and A. (about 700 per month).

(look up pension rates with A and A). You see, if they are 70% comp AND get NSC pension, the Veteran gets the greater amount of compensation OR pension. A 70 percent Vet gets 1447 per month, while a NSC pension (married, with A and A), gets over $2000 per month (assuming the household has "0" other income..this may not be true)

2. If its compensation A and A, then that is SMC L, which is also about 700 per month in extra compensation, if awarded. (Look up SMC L, and then subtract what you normally get without SMC L, and I think you will find its about 700 per month).

In either case, the spouse A and A is paid to the Veteran, not to the spouse. I dont think spouses get any compensation from VA until/unless the Veteran dies or unless the spouse gets an amount in a divorce.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

We just went through this with my wife's Grandmother. She was a WWII vet in her 90's, an never had a medical problem until she was 91. She ended up in an assisted living home and slowly went into needing full time care. We applied for AA under the Pension program of which she was approved for 1500 and change with a 24K income. The problem we currently are dealing with is, the VA would not pay the retro as they found her incompetent and was going to appoint a fiduciary. She died while waiting on this to be done......Fast forward. The Estate has filed a claim on her behalf for monies due (16 months) until the time of her death, this was done by her son as executor. The VA then comes back with a denial letter, stating he was not a minor child....LOL WTF, the letter clearly stated he was the executor and that it was the estate making the claim of prior benefits due before death....Only the VA.

I am sure this will be resolved soon after I wrote the new appeal, but it does show that AA under the pension program is a very good benefit. I was actually surprised in the amount awarded based on her income, yet added together, it just barely paid the monthly cost of the home of 3600 per month. OUCH!