Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Find Unit Records?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a veteran go about finding his in-service records from Vietnam that showed what he did, for instance he did not do his MOS but was assign to another type job, how would he prove this?

And was still with this same unit, Would those records show what he did ? or keep him at his MOS Although that's not what he was assign to.

Would he contact St Louis NRSP and see what the records show/? were trying to find out how to prove what he did in Vietnam.

He has old record of in-country travel orders that had to be renewed every 60 days & Sign off by his CO

This was his new assignment Recovery of US Disable Vehicle's from the field/ mechanical failure or demolished from acts of war.

Thanks in Advance

....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

"and a few nights he was on guard duty & he seen several VC trying to climb the perimeter wires and they were all shot, after the command was given buy the NCO In charge and he said this has bothered him ever since."

That incident would Definitely be in the Unit Morning reports.I assume he means "VC" tried to breach the concertina. and over run the camp.

That is a far better "stressor" than the other one.

Where did this happen and when......

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

"and a few nights he was on guard duty & he seen several VC trying to climb the perimeter wires and they were all shot, after the command was given buy the NCO In charge and he said this has bothered him ever since."

I wonder if he has the date wrong, was this during TET at Long Bihn?

I have some great photos (aerials) and maps of Long Bihn installation.during the war.

They didnt use concertina, my mistake, they used barbed wire and there was plenty of artillery and bunkers on the perimeter.

Fixed Maching gun M 60s, at a dozen guard bunkers, and Starlight scopes.

Maybe he didn't mean this breach occurred at Long Bihn.Still it would definitely be in a Morning Unit report, wherever and when it occurred..

Edited by Berta

too many posts here that have nothing to do with the initial topic......

Can members be asked to start their own topics instead posting in threads for something else?

Sorry. Will do.

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life."

10% 1992

10% 1995

10% 2000

10% 2005

10% 2010

10% 2015

2015- found out that I have Post Concussion Syndrome(not SC), Stationed at contaminated installations

Still at that great 10% !!!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes Ms berta,

I agree with you. it be hard for him to get VA to believe his stressor but I'm thinking the VA will give him the benefit of doubt and go with presumptive evidence as his lay testimony??? UNDER CFR's provisions 3.103 reasonable doubt.

but I know my self that at times there was no reports wrote up and nothing was ever said about a lot of unofficial happenigs over there!

I my self could not find some of my unit records that I witness happen in some unforgettable happenings they either was not wrote up in a daily report in the CO's quarters or the records got lost,or the soldier that was on CQ Duty fell asleep and forgot to write that particular report up.

my DD -214 has combat duty on it and a DRO at my hearing said to me I see you was a combat soldier I said yes sir and he told me he was too and we started talking about that after my hearing was over.

My problem helping this veteran it don't say combat on his 214 but he has medals on it he has one that I think the VA will accept as combat duty he has the RVN accommodation medal with 2 stars and also he has old travel orders for hostile area outside the compound, when he went to recover the disabled U.S. Vehicle's,

On hadit radio show the other day Att Bob Walsh mention that he has helped a veteran in that same particular situation & he mention recovery of US Vehicle's. even if the soldrier was not an infantry unit he was still in a combat hostile area and that qualifies him as a combat soldier. (something like that that may not be exactly what he said but fairly close) & use the form 21-0781 describe what happen!

I myself have had a lot of my combat records that either was not wrote up or the records got lost, a lot of my medical records from Nam I can't find, and I know for a fact I went to the dispensary server times, I had a buddy that was a medic we run together a lot sometimes I'd get some headache meds & bandage's from him , he never wrote that up he just go in there come back out throw the bottle/box at me I'd catch it and ''say thanks a lot bud I own ya Beer...just simple things like that went on with a lot of soldiers over there.

A lot of things was just not never reported over there that maybe should have been and I think a lot of it was we were young and never thought to say now write that in your report ect,,,ect,, and we just never thought we would need anything like this years later!

that's just my opinion & witness to some of the bad things I seen over there never was reported in my Nam days.

I agree with you Ms berta reading these post and all of a sudden come up on a few that has nothing to do with this topic,

................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!