Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Shouldnt I Be 70%?

Rate this question

USMC_VET

Question

I have uploaded the decision for my predetermination for Reduction, which was dropped however I found it strange that they wrote that....

Evaluation of post traumatic stress disorder (claimed as mental issues and sleep disturbance) currently evaluated as 50 percent disabling. The proposal to reduce the evaluation assigned for your service connected post traumatic stress disorder (claimed as mental issues and sleep disturbance), which is currently 50 percent disabling, is rescinded. This condition will continue to be evaluated as 50 percent disabling.

We have assigned a 50 percent evaluation for your post traumatic stress disorder (claimed as mental issues and sleep disturbance) based on:

• Difficulty in adapting to work
•Near-continuous panic affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and
effectively
• Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances
Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships
Near-continuous depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and
effectively

Impaired impulse control
Difficulty in adapting to a worklike setting
Unprovoked irritability with periods of violence
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school,
fami ly relations, judgment, thinking, or mood

• Disturbances of motivation and mood
• Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
• Panic attacks more than once a week
• Impaired judgment
Forgetting directions

Forgetting recent events

•Forgetting names
• Depressed mood
• Mild memory loss
• Chronic sleep impairment
·Anxiety

The overall evidentiary record shows that the severity of your disability most closely approximates the criteria for a 50 percent disability evaluation.
A higher evaluation of 70 percent is not warranted for post traumatic stress disorder unless the evidence shows occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as:

• suicidal ideation
• obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities
• speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant
near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently,
appropriately and effectively

impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence)
spatial disorientation
• neglect of personal appearance and hygiene
difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting)
inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.

Doesn't this sound like 70%? and even if the proposal to reduce was rescinded was it not incumbent on them to rate based on the evidence shown? I knew this was a possibility when i agreed to the "deal" between the VSO and the rater, however looking at the evidence i should have just gone forward with the hearing, etc.

what say you?

Edited by USMC_VET

70% - PTSD

->50% - OSA (Secondary to PTSD)

30% - Bilateral Pes Planus w/Plantar Fasciitis

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

0% - bilateral shin splints

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Based on the wording above it could be rated at 50 or 70%, up to the rater. I am 70%, and that is with being listed as danger to self and others, along with 3 months in mental hospital. Good luck, and atleast the VA did not reduce you.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

The overall evidentiary record shows that the severity of your disability most closely approximates the criteria for a 50 percent disability evaluation.
A higher evaluation of 70 percent is not warranted for post traumatic stress disorder unless the evidence shows occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as:

suicidal ideation
near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently,

impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence)
spatial disorientation
neglect of personal appearance and hygiene
difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting)

Doesn't this sound like 70%? and even if the proposal to reduce was rescinded was it not incumbent on them to rate based on the evidence shown? I knew this was a possibility when i agreed to the "deal" between the VSO and the rater, however looking at the evidence i should have just gone forward with the hearing, etc.

The highlighted in red underlined are a factor. I am also 50% and without these factors i think that was why they didn't raise you to 70%. JMHO!!

eRIC

suicidal ideation

spatial disorientation

neglect of personal appearance and hygiene

The highlighted in red underlined are a factor. I am also 50% and without these factors i think that was why they didn't raise you to 70%. JMHO!!

eRIC

In my sworn declaration i talked about my neglect of personal appearance (forgetting to shower, wearing underwear that are more akin to loinclothes, not shaving, etc.) my wife has to remind me every so often "when was the last time you showered?"

In my listings of reasons i got 50% it was mentioned i have impaired impulse control with unprovoked irritability and violence.

I have had and do have suicidal ideation however i purposefully told the doc who did my dbq to leave that out.

I thought that without mentioning the suicidal ideation i could still get the 70% with so many matching up. Im not ready to put that down on record just yet.

Appreciate the comments and opinions, you here are a god send.

Edited by USMC_VET

70% - PTSD

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

Yes in theory, every rater is different and weigh evidence differently. Just do another increase ask for PnT or take your PTSD DBQ Review to a private Doc

Yes in theory, every rater is different and weigh evidence differently. Just do another increase ask for PnT or take your PTSD DBQ Review to a private Doc

Part of the proposal to reduce process, i went to a private psych and got a private DBQ. it was that, that kept the VA at bay and made them decided to 'drop' the proposal to reduce if i would drop the request for the exam and hearing. I always felt that they did that because they would have granted me the 70%

Are you saying i should just go for P&T so that they lowball me to 70%? or that i should really go for it? I want to work as long as i can, i like getting out in the aspect that i know its good for me. If i was on P&T i would be in a less healthy mental state staying at home

70% - PTSD

30% - Migraines

10% - Tinnitus

20% - Back

Part of the proposal to reduce process, i went to a private psych and got a private DBQ. it was that, that kept the VA at bay and made them decided to 'drop' the proposal to reduce if i would drop the request for the exam and hearing. I always felt that they did that because they would have granted me the 70%

Are you saying i should just go for P&T so that they lowball me to 70%? or that i should really go for it? I want to work as long as i can, i like getting out in the aspect that i know its good for me. If i was on P&T i would be in a less healthy mental state staying at home

No quite sure what you mean lowball you to 70%, you're 60% right? Oh yeah I definitely think you should go for it if you think you should be higher. You can work if you're PnT.