Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Granted Prostate Cancer Service Connection, What Next?

Rate this question

RickH

Question

Hi all

Got the BVA letter yesterday, it stated that because of the new probative evidence(IMO-IME) that

exposure to work place chemicals was evident and my service connection for prostate

cancer was warranted and granted.

In my original claim, I had filed for Prostate cancer residules, but no where in the letter

does it talk about residules or secondaries.

I had my prostate removed in 2001, my original claim was filed in 2007. Will the rater

at the RO know enough to go to the secondaries on the DBQ that their doc filled out at my

C and P, or will I have NOD them to it?

I can't scan copies because I' m in FLA visiting friends for the next 4 weeks, my granddaughter

read me the letters.

Thanks,

RickH

Am I being paranoid??

Edited by RickH

You need to get on the ball. Prostate stuff is AO presumptive. You know the drill. Get the nexus , assemble the medrecs. Push send. Perhaps someone who is a Vet. Rep (VFW. AmLeg, MOPH) will help you file it!

• HadIt.com Elder

When you filed your appeal with the BVA did the appeal include all your residual issues? It should have if they were in original appealed claim. Did your NOD include disagreement for denial of residuals of prostate cancer. If you don't appeal it then it may be lost. Look over your paperwork to make sure. I assume the cancer had not spread from the prostate before it was removed?

I noded the part of the claim that was denied ,residuals of prostate cancer(ED, Incontinence) in 2007.

My grant for service connection was for prostate cancer, but no where in the BVA letter did it mention my Secondarys

or my residuals.

Will I be still rated for my residuals,

or will I be just rated 0% because my cancer is gone.

Am I being paranoid? won"t the rater just go to the above ASKNOD rules ang\d give me my rate and SMC-K.

RickH

You should ask to be rated on residuals after the cancer treatment is completed. If you are incontinent, impotent, etc. If you have a scar from surgery that irritates you (I/e rubs against clothing

causing irritation) ask that the scar be rated. I received SM K for loss of organ, rating for leakage (based on number of pads I used), impotence. Later my bladder went neurogenic as a result of the prostate surgery. I had to have urinary bypass secondary to prostate surgery. Later I had to have 2 colon resections as a result of this mess. Everything was granted service connected secondary to the prostate cancer. I'm now at 80% TDIU.

What I'm saying, is the BVA pulling a fast one on me, and giving me a service connection for cancer that is already

cured without granting the secondarys I filed for in my original claim?? Does the VLJ have to grant service connection

for the secondaries also, or does the regional office just go to rating the secondaries on their own from the original claim?

RickH

Your final rating is the one you receive once you meet maximum improvement or you are as well as can be expected after all necessary treatment etc. When I was in your position, I had a vet rep apply for me for a final rating based on maximum improvement. Then the VA ordered a CP exam and sent a rating which I could have appealed, but didn't. It kind of sounds like the VA has dropped the ball back in your court. I would highly suggest finding a VA rep through a service organization or maybe your county government has a vet rep (mine does). That's all these people do is help with claims and benefits. If you don't ask the VA, they will usually not volunteer any benefits.