VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Class I Heart Disease

Rate this topic

Hamslice,

You should keep a close eye on your heart disease and follow up with your cardiologist on a regular basis. However, be aware that some cardiac tests are not always reliable. The most reliable test I have had is a heart catherization procedure. I have had three heart catherizations so far.

I have had hypertension and mitral valve prolapse for over thirty years. In July 2012, I had my annual cardiac tests with my cardiologist. The tests included EKG, chest X-rays, nuclear stress test with isotope imaging, ultrasound of heart, and ultrasound of carotid arteries. No significant problems found during the tests.

Two months later in September 2012, I was taken to my local ER by ambulance after experiencing severe chest pains. Initial tests at the hospital did not reveal heart problems but my cardiologist performed a heart catherization procedure and placed two coated stents in my heart as a result of a 90%-95% blockage and an 80% blockage. My cardiologist stated I was lucky I did not die before going to the hospital.

Then in November 2012, another trip to the ER due to chest pains, another heart catherization and another stent for an 80% blockage.

My cardiologist admitted she was surprised the July tests had not revealed the blockages and she stated she would send me straight to the cath lab if I have severe chest pains in the future.

Good luck and take care.

GP

Edited by georgiapapa

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd say that a cath is relatively save as invasive proceedures go, not "very" safe. Things can occasionally go wrong.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that the VA is piss poor in handling Veterans with Heart Disease. It takes an act of Confress to even see a Cardiologist, few if any tests are given and the meds are old and cheap.

Have any of you known the VA to take a calcium score along with evidence? My husband has a calcification score of 27 (as of 2012) in his LAD, and occasional angina.

(The cardiologist calls him WIDOWMAKER.super comforting.)

My husband is a 45 year old gulf war vet (tanker, 17th Engineering Battalion,Tiger Brigade, 2AD) with no other risk factors.

Talked to the nurse over the phone today, she asked me some questions and said the the scheduler will be calling me to schedule an appointment.

I told her about the 5 ecg's, medical records and symptoms and my concerns.

She asked me if I exercise, I said no, but that I was active.

She asked if I ever had a stress test, and I said no, she asked if I had ever had a echocardiogram, and I said no. Also, heart cath, and no.

So, not too sure what instore for me.

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that VA does as little as possible for heart patients. I have a stent and it takes an act of congress to see a heart doc.