Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Then Letter From C&p Nurse Practitioner Whro Did It?

Rate this question

Vet2015

Question

This is what I got rated for after my C&P for increase on lumbar strain... post-20403-0-47949200-1437951591_thumb.j

A few days later I get these 2 letters from the nurse practitioner who did the c&p?

post-20403-0-26506200-1437951653_thumb.j post-20403-0-73683200-1437951687_thumb.j

Should I add DDD as a secondary?

Should I add Radicular bilateral as secondary?

Should I just leave the 20% rating alone and settle?

I am very confused on this one.....

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get an IME/IMO and file a NOD if you want a chance at getting a higher rating. The idea that a NPR can give you a decent C&P exam is laughable. Did the VA do a MRI on your back? What kinds of tests did they do to determine your level of disability? The exam doctor is saying your DDD is not related to your lumbar strain since 12 years have passed since your discharge. How the heck do they know this? You need your own medical opinion to fight this assumption. Lumbar strain could be anything from a slipped disc to a slight muscle pull. Did you get ongoing care for your back over the years since your discharge?

John

yes sir. I entered the army in 1991 I had a car accident while stationed in Germany in 1997. I had a p3 profile every since. No heavy lifting, no running, no wearing LBE gear, no carrying weapons or anything. I was discharged in 2000 for low back strain with a 10% rating. I just put in a few months ago for increase and got 20%. After x-rays this happen. Been on Percocet and flexaril from my va dr. and family physician.. Been seen several times for back pain.. They did a mri I think back in 2004

Edited by Vet2015

• HadIt.com Elder

Your lucky the raters went with that PN...Most raters won't , maybe this is a sign to get all claims in before the year runs out?

If I was you I'd fILE NOD AND yes file for those other contentions as well, you may as well I don't think the will Propose to reduce what you already have, but may be denied on the new contention as JOHN 999 mention a IMO/IME is needed.

.................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Should I add DDD as a secondary to lumbar spine?

Should I add Radicular bilateral as secondary to lumbar spine?

or should I file as 2 new claims of DDD and bilateral Radicular.

Edited by Vet2015

• HadIt.com Elder

An IMO is needed. It should, in summary, relate the present back related conditions to the original in service injury, and state that there is no other

likely cause.

I'm sort of in a similar situation with chronic back pain, and after may years, the cause finally showed up on an MRI.

The difference is that among other things, my injury was related to handling and loading ammunition

during "combat" operations. I was told at the time and several times after that the only test to determine

the cause was dangerous, and besides that, corrective surgery only had at best a 50% chance of success.

In other terms, take anti-inflammatory and pain suppression drugs as needed. If the pain becomes

constant, and completely debilitating, then it will be time to go further.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

I really do agree with Buck52 that vets should make their claims within one year of discharge. If I had not done this there is no way I would have gotten SC at all. When you wait even two years to file a claim the VA will often come back with statements that the disability cannot be shown to have originated in the service because of intervening events since discharge. About the only disability that can wait 20 years to file is PTSD. For instance, a bad traffic wreck can cause PTSD. It does not have to be combat.

I have chronic back pain and cervical pain. What I have been told is that no surgery can definitely fix or resolve pain. You can get back things like ROM, but pain may persist or get worse after surgery. I had surgery on my shoulder and it still hurts and is weak. I have full ROM but I have pain as well.